1975 dash plaque ?

Guest fmbjogger

Guest fmbjogger

I recently purchased a very fine 1975 LeSabre Custom convertible from the original owner's family with only 29,000 miles on her. None of them knew if this dash plaque was factory installed or something the owner added. Does anyone know the answer ? Thanks.

post-70980-143138329859_thumb.jpg

post-70980-14313832989_thumb.jpg

post-70980-143138329919_thumb.jpg

fmb, check the build date on the Buick's data plate. If it is July or early August 1975, the car is probably among the last couple of hundred built which may explain "final production run".

We know the last 1975 Olds convert was red with white top and interior, built 7D. Not sure about Buick. Someone in Buick forums may know.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guest fmbjogger
fmb, check the build date on the Buick's data plate. If it is July or early August 1975, the car is probably among the last couple of hundred built which may explain "final production run".

We know the last 1975 Olds convert was red with white top and interior, built 7D. Not sure about Buick. Someone in Buick forums may know.

Thanks, Glenn. I think from the build sheet it's 07/01 but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at. I've scanned the document but site says it's too large to send. I'll post in Buick forum as well. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Mike

PS. I'm also a Olds fan with a sweet 75 Delta Royale.

post-70980-143138331055_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

My uncle has a white 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertable with a similar dash plaque.

In the case of the Cadillac it was done on the very last 300 cars built at the factory !

Guest Silverghost

I remember in 1975-76 GM announced that it would no longer build any future convertables because of the then new federal roll-over building standards~

They made a big deal about the last 300 Cadillac convertables at the factory...

They were all exactly the same color etc. All were given dash plaques. Today they are called "1976 Plaque cars"

My uncle bought his new in 1976.

He already had a new 1975 Eldorado Convertable in Florida !

Funny True Story:

In 1976 there was an older Texas Oil man who bought a dozen of these 1976 Cadillac Eldorado "Plaque Cars" from the last run of 300 convertables.

He stated at the time that he had always been a Cadillac convertable man~

He wanted enough new Cadillac Eldorado Convertables to last his lifetime !

This story was all over the news at the time in 1976 ...

I don't know about other GM brands at the time offered with factory dash plaques...

It is possible !

GM made a big fuss about these last convertables off the assembly lines...

Some other more informed person on this forum will tell us about the other GM car lines for sure !

Great Convertable you have there !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest fmbjogger

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Brad. Wow, I'd love to get a look at that collection of cars you have. Very impressive. Are there pics posted on the site ?

My Father used to tell a story about a guy he knew who bought a bunch of Model T's when they were dirt cheap (1923 roadster was about $250) and put all but one away till the first one wore out. Then he took another one out and used it up, then another one,and so on. this way he would always have a fairly new car to drive. It sounds like an urban legend, but who knows? I wonder if any were left when he died.

..GM made a big fuss about these last convertables off the assembly lines...

And that naturally got a lot of people PO'd when GM started making convertibles again in the 1980s; mainly people who had over-paid for these "last" convertibles.

Never say never... :rolleyes: