Power steering pulley?

64R

Me again with another goofy question. I'm rebuilding the 425 and while it's out I want to clean up and paint the bolt on bits. The power steering pump has a couple of brackets, one of which can only come off by removing the pulley. I don't see any way to lock the pulley, no secondary nut to clamp down on? Before I try to crush part of it with channel locks to hold it I thought I should check with you guys

As always, a big thanks

DSC03932.jpg

While you have the pulley off, and the pump body out of the bracket, change the shaft seal on the pump. It is quite easy to do (see shop manual for details). They talk about wrapping thin shim stock around the threads to protect the seal lip from damage. You don't need to do that, just wrap the threads with some masking tape and slide the seal on (lubricate tape and shaft with some PS fluid before you slide seal down). A new seal will help keep your engine compartment clean.

National has the seal for about $11 or so.

Jim

With my pump still on the car, I wrapped a length of nylon rope around the pulley then tied it off on the crank pulley. Then when I torqued the nut, the rope kept the pulley from turning.

An impact wrench helps hit the nut with a lot of torque for a short burst, before the pulley can react. That can also break it loose.

The impact gun did it like it was nothing, funny I never thought of using it to start with. I have all the air tools but for some reason, old age probably, I always use hand tools.

You guys are great!