1955 Special value?

Matt Harwood

Hi guys,

In my travels, I've come across a very, very nice 1955 Special 2-door that the owner would like to sell, and I'm trying to get an idea of what the car might be worth. Believe me when I say this is an AMAZING car.

It's a 1955 Special 2-door sedan with just 16,895 original miles. There are gas station service stickers on the door jamb from 1965 that read 13,561 miles. The current owner has had it for more than 25 years, and has driven it less than 1000 miles in that time. Paint, body, interior, trunk and chassis are all 100% original. The engine bent a pushrod two years ago and has subsequently had an entire top-end service, including hardened valve seats and a full valve job, and has been driven less than 50 miles since. Then the engine bay was detailed for show. The bumpers were rechromed about 11 years ago, but otherwise, everything is as it was in 1955. The paint is clearly 55 years old, but there's no way I'd ever advise anyone to paint this car--very presentable with the only blemishes being at the base of the rear window on each side. And, of course, the torque ball leaks, but whose doesn't?

Oh, and the other unusual thing--it's a 3-speed manual transmission. Apparently the original owner discovered that he could have a Buick for the same price as a Chevy if he stripped it down. This one has a radio, but that's about it in terms of options (and yes, the radio works--I listened to the Tribe play while I cruised the back roads for a while in this car).

I personally drove this car on Wednesday afternoon, and will attest that it is about the tightest, quietest, smoothest old car I've ever driven. Hell, it was as smooth as my 2005 Audi! Absolutely unbelievable. Here are a few photos, and I'd like your thoughts about what it might be worth. I'm thinking mid- to high-$20s and it's an excellent candidate for HPOF and preservation class showing.

p1010056_original.jpg

p1010057_original.jpg

p1010060_original.jpg

p1010040_original.jpg

p1010003_original.jpg

And yes, I've already shown it to MrEarl...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Sorry Matt but I would have to say that's at least a $20,000 car in my opinion. (Sorry meaning I wish I could say it's worth much less for a purchase reason) I did not access any price guides to come up with that figure but it's in much better shape then most "archival" or original cars. I have a hard time believing it in fact. That engine looks too nice to not be restored. Etc etc.

Being a 2 door post I believe has helped it's tight feel as hardtops twist a little more.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Gorgeous little plain Jane c-dan. Bound to be rare as there were only about 62,000 of them made compared to 156,000 hard tops. And I say plain Jane because look at that sweet non flexible steering wheel. Never seen one in a 55 before and only a few in 54's. And the clock delete BUICK EIGHT slogan. Love that extra pedal in the floor too.

Jake, as Matt explained, the engine top end has been rebuilt, thus the new paint and detail. That happens SO OFTEN. And it's a shame. But such happens. In fact my little Blue Bird is currently down and going through the same deal. Bad valves so taking advantage of pulling the engine to reseal the tranny and detail the engine bay.

Matt, can you share a picture of the data plate? Also, have you looked for a build sheet. They often put them up on top of the glove boxes in 54's not sure about 55's. Feel up on top and see if feel a piece of paper glued to it.

progoofoff, I think it would look good in your garage. Especially with the reflection of the Landau in it. :)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Jake's right. The last really low mileage 55 that I remember went for right around $20k. That one was also a model 48. Along with the non flexible wheel, it also has the clock delete, and rubber floor mat. It's a shame about the redone engine compartment and chrome, as far as the archival class is concerned, but that is a really nice looking car!

Here are photos of the tags:

p1010045_original.jpg

p1010010_original.jpg

Yes, the engine bay has been restored and detailed, and the top end of the engine is fresh. The bottom end is untouched and it runs superbly.

I should also point out that I'm just trying to get the owner an idea of how much it might be worth, not purchase the car for myself (although if I were in the market for a '50s Buick, this one would be a slam-dunk!).

Would it still qualify for preservation with the restored engine bay if everything else but the bumpers is original?

Not sure about HPOF, but my understanding of the BCA Archival means no award. I think it can be fixed but that engine compartment has been restored. I am not 100% sure about that... What I am sure about is that it's a dang nice car.

I do recall that the model 48 that sold on eBay a few years ago had around 14k miles and I was shocked that it sold at only around $19,500

YES, this would still qualify for the BCA Archival Award, because none of the exterior has been repainted. It would lose a point or two for the engine paint, but that does not kill the award.

The reason for the bent valve is probably old gas, which gets sticky and leaves sticky deposits on the valve stems and that bends the push rods. It has happened to me on a 364 Buick V8 and on a 322 Buick V8 both of which sat for a long time or were rarely driven, with old gas in the tank.

This '55 is a gem!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

YES, this would still qualify for the BCA Archival Award, because none of the exterior has been repainted. It would lose a point or two for the engine paint, but that does not kill the award.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Thank you for that clarification. That was also my understanding but have heard different. What about the rechromed bumpers Pete.

Here are photos of the tags:

p1010045_original.jpg

p1010010_original.jpg

Man I could look at these all original unmolested gems all day long. Look at that run and rough paint on the door pillar and hinge frame. Oh horrors if a restored car were to look like that!!!

The data plate paint code EGG is Temple Gray over Victoria Blue Metallic over Victoria Blue Metallic.The trim number (which is a trick to read for Flint built cars) calls for Light Grey Pattern Cloth-Light Grey Cordaveen. The ACC (accessory) code B stands for Heater and Defroster.

Sure glad this isn't a '54. I can see the headlines now. Rash of convenience store robberies between Georgia and Ohio.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I suppose it just does not make sense to do engine work and leave the original paint alone as much as possible.

That's still such an important car for it's interior and exterior originality.

Matt I thought you were buying it. It ought to bring $20,000 to $25,000 in my non professional opinion.

There is a real nice (but not as nice) mostly original 56 Roadmaster 4 door hardtop further up in the AACA Buy/Sell that was having some difficulty selling in the $18,000 range? I think.

What do folks think? ebay? for best results?