glass cleaning

Guest 65riviera925

Guest 65riviera925

been trying to clean off the hazing that is left on the windows when the car sat for a while, is there a method or cleaner you guys use to clean that off seams impossible thanks

I used to live on a U.S. highway with lots of traffic. The whole block used oven cleaner to clean the ourside of our windows. It was about the only thing that would cut through the deposit on the glass.

I have used oven cleaner, works well on glass but use caution dont get it on other surfaces. In order to see if the dirt is on the outside use an up and down motion and inside use side to side so you can tell if the problem is on the inside or outside.

I have used a product called Zud. I think there is also a similar or rival product called Duz...which sounds like a better name to me. Anyway, I think Zud is a kitchen cleaner. It comes in a yellow bottle and is at True Value. It is good for removing mineral deposits on glass. Zud...has some abrasive in it so be careful to keep it away from paint and upholstery. Also, don't dig in too much as I bet it could etch the glass if you got too aggressive. PRL

Guest lemmy-67

After I let the clear coat on my 67 cure for a couple of months, I purchased a bunch of polish/wax products from one of those rich-boys-and-their-toys catalogs. One of the kits I bought included a can of paint-cleaning clay. You use it with their speed-shine spray polish to remove surface contaminants from the paint without scratching. It also works well on glass. I'd repeatedly sprayed & wiped down my front & rear windows with windex, and could not get the haze to go away. However, one pass with the clay and shine spray took it all off. I have to admit, this stuff really does work. There was tons of crap on my back window...the clay piece was black with it when I was done.

Link is here for the kit:

Paint Clay & Speed Shine® Kit - Griot's Garage

I don't know about the "rich-boys-and-their-toys" catalogs, but I have used Griots Garage products for years. The paint cleaning clay that Lemmy mentioned does work extremely well. Griots has recently come out with a cleaning clay specifically for glass...

Glass Cleaning Clay, 3.5 Ounces - Glass Cleaning - Car Care - Griot's Garage

I would definitely try this with some of their speed shine as a lubricant. It will not harm your glass.

Guest lemmy-67

No offense intended with my characterization of the Griots company: I, too, have been a customer for years. The Facom ratchets and German-made hand tools have held up very well in my toolbox, and the waxing/polishing supplies have been top notch thus far. My Buick looks like a 360 HP blueberry jellybean.

Some of their items like the carbon-fiber money clip do raise an eyebrow for me, though. Just an observation.

I'll chime in with some off the wall stuff that I've seen.

My grandmother used to slice a potato in half and rub it on glass to clean it. Something about the starch as a scourer and it rinsed off easily.

My old motor seargeant used to use cigar ash to polish glass

I've used tooth paste to polish the crystal on my watch

and lastly, a friend who owns an optical shop uses a fine pumice to polish scratches out of old eyeglasses.