1979-85 Tire Pressure?

Jolly_John

Hi, Gang. I'm just about to depart on a nice long road trip with our '79 Riviera. I have typically run the tire pressure at 32psi all the way around. Today, in looking at the original info sticker on the car's door jamb, I saw the factory spec. is 28psi for the front and 26psi for the rear. This seems awfully low for radial tires.

What 1979-85 Riv. tire pressure comments do some of you have? Thanks! John

Stick with your tried and tested 32psi. In my view those pressures quoted are a bit low. Some manufacturers seemed to do that for some reason.

32 psi will give you good tyre life (less heat build up) and a nice square wear pattern. If you are going on a long journey, it will be ideal for high speed/load, but I would run it all the time.

Adam..

John I tried to reply to your post on the yahoo list last night but still have not seen my reply come through so I don't know if it went.

I had said that the same sticker on all of my 83/84/85 Riv's say 30 psi cold front and rear. That's what I set mine at in the morning after sitting all night. When you drive them around the air will expand 2 to 4 psi, usually just 2 psi---then you have 32 psi hot. In my experience if you put 32psi cold then it's goes up around 34/35 psi hot and your ride quality suffers. That has been my experience.

The 71 models called for 24 PSI all around cold & 30 hot with the bias belted tires. I've asked Goodyear what is the best pressure for radials and they have told me 30 cold front & rear and that is what I have been using for many years since my 71 has radials.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73 :)