ROLLS~ROYCE SPRINGFIELD CRASH ?

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

I just heard through the grapeviine that late this summer a 1920's Rolls~Royce Spingfield was in a tragic crash & rollover here in PA.

I was told that the car rolled several times and the driver was thrown from the car and is in critical condtion.

He was said to be on "Life Support".

Since I know many R~R Springfield cars & owners here in my area I would like to know who owned this car?

The person who relayed this story did not know any other details?

Any info greatly apreciated !

Very sad story~ If true ?

BRAD HUNTER

215 947 4676

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Rumor control. I spoke with one of the folks involved in this incident. A Rolls Royce Silver Ghost being driven by a Philadelphia area resident was involved in an accident on I80 in Ohio. The car was hit from behind while travelling at 55 mph and flipped several times, coming to rest upside down. The driver was ejected and luckily landed on grass rather than pavement. Despite serious injuries both driver and car are expected to make a full recovery. Had the driver been seatbelted or had the top been up the results would likely have been far different.

Guest Silverghost

Thank's for clearing this up.

The person who told me about this only had a few facts

Who was the driver ?

I probably know him !

Which Silver Ghost ?

pm me if necessary for privacy!

A 20's Silver Ghost from Springfield has to go about 3 tons. If the car was moving at 55 MPH how on earth could it flip two times? Whatever hit if must have been flying. Even with a high center of gravity you would think a roll over was possible, but multiple times? Very Scary

It was hit in the left rear wheel area which spun the car sideways. All that energy (mass x speed) had to be dissipated somehow. Acquaintance of mine (friend of the owner and also a Ghost owner) was directly in front of the Rolls when the accident occurred and saw the car flip in his rear view. His cruise was set at 55 at the time so he knows the Rolls was going that fast as well. The Driver was very lucky indeed.

Guest YellowBird

Reminiscent of the Duesenberg just out of the restoration shop in Detroit a few years ago where the whole family died.

RUMOR CONTROL -

NO, the 'whole family' did NOT die.

The father, mother and son were killed but two daughters survived.