Austin12600

Your Opinion - 1966 Ford F250

Buy it, or don't buy it?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Buy it, or don't buy it?

• Buy it
    • Don't buy it
    • Not sure

I've been driving my '65 F100 now for over 12 years, granted it now has a 460, P/S, P/B and a C6 automatic, but the ride is good and it cruises the interstate at 75 (I did have a higher ratio rear differential installed) with no problems. The H.D. 250 and 4X4 I'm sure will make the ride worse, but I'd buy it anyway. - RICK

I tried to read all posts but got tired of the ones who think that w/o power everything it's unsafe. How did any of us ever live this long? Sheesh. That truck is a great vehicle for a 1st set of wheels and if you keep it in decent shape, it will not let you down mechanically or value. Yes it won't be cheap to own, so save some $ and buy a $700 POS car for everyday or longer trips.

It is sofa-king easy to replace the master cylinder with a dual power master cylinder setup. You can get a pwr master/booster for drum/drum brake setup for a 67 Galaxie/mustang from most any local parts house (should bolt right in) and feel better about stopping. Power steering is also not difficult to install, but is more costly. The kid is 16! If he can't turn the wheel then he has bigger problems than this truck.

Add 3 point seatbelts (about $100) and have some fun!

Buy the truck, love the truck, drive the truck, learn about the truck! Do not listen to all the ones who have old vehicles yet seem to think yours is too unsafe and not worthy. Seems pretty ironic.

As near as I can tell about 3500 of these were produced so you do have a rare truck. I'd be surprised if there were more than 25% of them left.

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

If all you want is an old vehicle to restore, I would pass on this one and buy something a little more practical that you could enjoy on a daily basis without it costing you an arm and a leg, easier to drive, etc. If, on the otehr hand, you have a real desire to own an old 3/4 ton pickup, then this one looks to be a good deal.

BOB

I didn't buy it. I was simply not in the situation to take on a project like that. I ended up making a quick $200 in the process, though. I was asking all my friends, and my dad's friends for their opinion, and one of them was interested in the truck themselves. They ended up buying it, and giving me a 10% finder's fee. I helped them load the truck up onto their trailer, and I was happy with how it played out.

Like I said; the truck was in NC and I live in PA. I was only spending so much time in NC because my uncle had passed away, and I was helping my dad work on his house, so we could sell it. It wouldn't have been worth it to move it transport it the whole way back to PA. However, I do believe if you lived in NC and had the proper tools/accommodations, you could have either made a profit, or came out even restoring this truck. Even if you didn't restore it, I believe the truck was worth much more than $2,000 the way it stood.

The person who bought it is going to get it up to running condition, and use it on their farm.

You're right, Bob... It is better for me to look for something more practical, and etc. Also, I don't think it's the right time in my life to start working on a project like this...

As near as I can tell about 3500 of these were produced so you do have a rare truck. I'd be surprised if there were more than 25% of them left.

Yes, there were only 3500 of them. The owner had all the original manuals and books that came with it. He had a book that showed all the different Ford trucks that were produced that year, and how many were made of each model, etc. The thing that made it so rare was the fact that it had 4 wheel drive...

Like I said, I think you would have at least broke even with that truck... It just wasn't right for me, personally... I'm sure the person who bought it will love it, though. It's perfect for their needs; a farm truck.

Sounds like a good price, truck looks like it has potential, and if you have the means to fix it up to drive or just keep it as toy, I'd say buy it. A good pick up always comes in handy.

That'd be great, but it's a little bit of a complicated situation. I live in Hershey, PA. However, the truck is in Greensboro, NC. They guy selling it lives right next to my uncle's house, in Greensboro. I go there to visit him often, and that's the only reason why I know about it...

hey partner did you ever buy that 66 250?

Read #78 and #79.

I'd been wondering what became of this truck too, but I can understand Austin deciding against it. Would have been a neat vehicle though.

Read #78 and #79.

I'd been wondering what became of this truck too, but I can understand Austin deciding against it. Would have been a neat vehicle though.

yea, I'd hate to think of that rare of a truck being used mabey 3 times a year on a farm i'd like to get my hands on that 4x4

I'm also looking to buy a 66 250 but I would not buy this because of rust. The rust in the bed and the doors are hard and expensive to fix, trust me I have experience... The options make it rare... and even if it sat for 5 years like it did, but had absolutely zero rust it would be worth around 4800. If I were you I would pay 1600. Nowadays I see 66s going into the 20 and 30,000 range when they're all fixed up but getting them there is hard and expensive, and takes time. How is the rust on the frame? If the frame is good, everything else can be fixed, but some things are more expensive to fix than the car/truck is worth... Beds are easier to replace than to fix, just for future reference, and remember a nice long lasting paint job is 4-6,000 so add that into costs! Before you buy you should add up the cost to fix plus to by and subract that from what it will be worth, rust is one thing to add up, and if it is negative, you have to either move on or talk them down. Also I think a 67-72 would be more fitted to you anyway because most of them had power steering and power brakes even with manual transmissions, which is nice.

Fordfarmallfan,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. The thread that you have replied to is over 2 years old, the original poster decided not to buy that particular truck. Hopefully you will find other discussions of interest to you here.

I had an F100, which was the favorite pickup of my choosing. It was a 1966 shortbox with 240 six cylinder and short box. Had a real love for it, it rode so nice with the Twin Ibeams and I put thunderbird power buckets in it. It somehow would beat time to the Rolling Stones tapes playing in the 8track. (BLM, I think those pockets in the door may be a rare accessory that were hard to find even when they were New). Being 2WD, and 1/2 ton, my truck was nothing much like the unit you are considering purchasing, but I can tell you that the one you are considering will climb all but straight up! A few people put 17 inch tires on them, back in the day, which did allow them to go straight up -- almost! Should be a fun truck, if affording the gasoline isn't an issue.

I thought this was a neat thread from four years ago the way it showed so much interest in '66 Fords. Back in 2010 my boss restored one in his body shop...an F250 2WD, 352. He replaced the carburetor & intake manifold and painted it with what I'd call fire engine red. The body was not rusted, and was gone over to perfection before painting. It's been in Idaho forever, in an area whose annual rainfall is 9.5 ", about what they had at the 2013 Hershey Meet.

If any of you guys want to buy a '66 Ford Pickup, it's still for sale. I would describe it as show condition, done by a perfectionist. Marty has about thirty grand in it and he was asking $25K 3 years ago. A little town of 3,000 in Idaho is the wrong market to sell this truck. It had painted stock wheels, body color, and he put on a new set of chrome wheels hoping to improve prospects. The only things unusual on it is he left off the rust-o-matic steel bumper, and he put on a "beer-tap" decorative shifter. If anyone's interested, please contact me by PM, and I'll pass on your name to the seller.