Another clamp question

64R

Sorry for the goofy questions but now that I'm starting to pull the motor I keep seeing something that had a function at one time but isn't being used now?

What are these two clamps on the valve cover for? I thought maybe the alternator harness that's laying in the valley but if that's the case they shortened some wires because it won't reach now.

Thanks as always, you guys are great

DSC03891.jpg

There is also another piece that uses the valve cover bolts to hold it in place. Each side had a piece on the rear bolt that was used to hold the spark plug wires in place. I've attached a picture that shows the correct placement of the clamp for the wiring harness and the additional piece that holds a plastic wire separator.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks Ed, that is really good to know, I have that on the other side and I wondered why wouldn't they do that both sides? You have to wonder how all these things disappear, got turned around or modified in some way over time?

DSC03890.jpg

Well oddly enough I do have the wire seperator on both sides, but the passenger side was just hanging there, while the drivers side had the bracket. Thanks for your picture Ed, that shows exactly what I need to do, I'll just cut some sheet stock to the correct size and weld it to the remaining part of the clip.

Rob - those clips are totally incorrect, and there is no way they should be on your engine. In fact, I'll take them off your hands, if you like. ;)

Just kidding of course. Be glad you have them, a majority of engines are missing them, because of mechanics doing work and then tossing them, or forgetting to remount them.

I wouldnt mind finding a set.

good luck on your project.

Thanks Alex. All I'm doing is the engine for now, I have several other projects in pieces that I need to finish before I do the body and paint on this one. For now I'm just going to enjoy it before I make it pretty

This is the current project, still a few hours to go before I finish it :D

DSC03423.jpg