MPG

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Guest Oldie & Goodie

I don't really care much about MPG, just wanted to throw this out to see if I'm in line with what most older cars are getting.

Average is around 11 1/2.

No highway, 90% of driving is 45 mph or less.

Sound about right?

All depends on the "lead sled" your driving. Sounds a bit low, but my 72 Buick Centurion would make 11-10 when they had real gas. Hate to see the MPG on that thing now. Had the 455.:D

Guest Oldie & Goodie
All depends on the "lead sled" your driving. Sounds a bit low, but my 72 Buick Centurion would make 11-10 when they had real gas. Hate to see the MPG on that thing now. Had the 455.:D

How about for a 51' Roadmaster. Also that's using a mid grade octane with no additives.

Edited by Oldie & Goodie
Added line (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

In my stock '54 Super, with Dynaflow-drive and an old carb that should be cleaned out, I get 12-13 in mixed driving. It could be higher with a clean carb, but not by much.

And according to old records kept by the prior owner dating back to the 1980s, those numbers were about average even then.

In the days of heavy and thirsty cars, Buicks had a reputation for being among the more thirsty.

But alas, mileage is hardly why we buy and drive them... I get more grins per mile than any new software-designed appliance-mobile on the road.

brh - my '71 LeSabre, 350-4, gets about 10-12 most of the time. I got the car from my uncle 10 years ago, but when he passed last summer, I found two notebooks of gas mileage that he kept on it. Never knew he was that interested. Pretty much every tank was in the same range, 10-13. A few times on the way to Florida, it would get 15, but that was about it.