1945 jeep

Guest johnnydef47

Guest johnnydef47

i am looking to buy an old army jeep but i don't think it has brake lights...any thoughts or suggestions on how to install them or kits or brands.

thanks

Installing brake lights on a vehicle is very easy. You will probably have to replace old rotted brake lines any ways.

When installing the new brake line, simply do it in two short sections, and between the two of them install a tee that has two threaded holes for the lines, and one female 1/8’ pipe thread.<O:p

Then on the tee, screw in a brake light switch and run a hot wire to one side of it, and then connect the other side to a brake light.<O:p

<O:p

You may have to get a new stop and taillight assy.<O:p

You will of course, have to bleed the brakes when you are done.<O:p

<O:p

Do not pass up this rare opportunity to buy such a desirable vehicle. There are many that will help you with this project.<O:p

Guest windjamer

:)Johnny,first off Welcome aboard,You will meet many good people here to offer help and advise. Next google millatary Surplus Im sure you can find the lights there. If not any good parts store wil have external lights you can mount. Pick up a can of olive drab paint and your on your way. Remember we like pictures.:D

Guest 1hooligan

Johnny Welcome, one thing that you should consider at this point is replacing the wiring. Now dont faint. It is not as hard as you may think. If you want to stay stock, there are several companies that make exact replacement kits. Or if you are not concerned, after market kits, as low as $125. that are great. All of the wires are marked as to where that go and have the correct wire size for todays demands. Also, most have tech support for you.

One other thing to think about is updating with LED lights bulbs. They can be easily installed in most original cannisters, and for safety MUCH brighter. Help, just ask there are several guys and girls that will step up to help. Pat

By 1945 all vehicles had brake lights and tail lights but not all had turn signals. Adding turn signals is not very hard. You have to change the sockets from a single filament bulb to a double filament bulb, and add a control lever to the steering column. The controls are still available at flea markets etc. in fact I think you can still buy them new from auto parts stores. Plus change a few wires.

This was a very common job in the late 40s and early 50s. Turn signals did not become mandatory until 1951 and many older cars came without them.

Army jeeps most certainly do have brake lights. The master light switch must be in the correct position or there will be no lights at all. If you have a 45 jeep, the rotary switch has an instruction plate behind it. If you have a pull switch it must be pulled out all the way for service stop light. The brake light will only be on the left side and the blackout brake light will be on the right side at the top. Blackout lights will work with the switch pulled out to the first notch. The headlights will work with the switch pulled out to the second notch along with the left taillamp and the left brake light.

I forgot to mention that you will be unable to pull the switch knob out past the first notch unless you depress the blackout lock button. This button keeps one from inadvertently pulling the switch on to headlights at an unwanted moment. The same goes for the rotary switch. It also has a lockout button. Until you get good at it , it takes two hands to turn the headlight switch on.

Guest johnnydef47

this is the jeep i was looking at. i think it may actually be a hybrid or something used on an air base. there are no rear light but it does start righ up and drive. its definatly needs a total rehaul but it has the original engine and a new 12volt system

3kb3m83pc5V45T05W3a8lec8e04ec8611154f.jpg

3k23p53l85Y15Q05U0a8l6aeb304a68091217.jpg

3n83mf3lc5Y05Q55S1a8l64e0c6cc999b10f2.jpg

3kb3oe3l35Y05Z15T2a8l0d718c17d4d3176c.jpg

these pics are old but i saw the jeep yesterday and it looks the same

Guest Bob Call

My guess is that someone grafted the pickup bed on after cutting off the body from the cowl rearward. That would explain the absence of a tail light. I believe most military vehicles were 24 volt but I maybe wrong. I remember when driving a deuce and a half having to do an inspection before leaving the motor pool and that included checking all fluids. They have 24 volt systems and the ignition wiring was weather proofed not like standard civilian wiring. I drove both Studebakers and GMCs.

So, I'm saying don't overpay for this. Myself I would consider it a parts car.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest johnnydef47

i did a little checking online and it said the 24 volt was from 52. i am told this jeep is 45 or 46. i was hoping to restore as it run and drives although i know its graphted. you think 600 is too much?

Guest Bob Call

Another thought. If it is a military jeep there should be a "Nomenclature" plate on the instrument panel that identifies it as a Truck, Utility 4 X 4, Model 1938. The model may have a suffix like A1 or A2 indicating a modification from the original Model 1938. If I recall correctly this plate would be on the right hand side of the instrument panel. A military model should be more valuable than a civilian model.

Assuming that the engine and running gear are in good rebuildable condition and the original front sheet metal is not rusted out, it should be worth $500 to $600. Worst case you could part it out and recover your money. Restoring it the original 1945 condition may not be cost effective.

Guest Bob Call

Just took another look at the pictures. The data and instruction plate sure looks civilian to me I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on any military vehicle I drove. Also, the grill and lights look civilian. There should be a military jeep club website somewhere that could help make an exact idientification of this truck.

600 bucks for a toy you love and can move around the shop by starting and driving is a good price. Do be aware of what you want from this car -A show winner?? A daily driver?? A weekend offroader?? If you are thinking about value and profitability of a 600 dollar car -you may be in the wrong hobby. Love is never cheap. I just bought a 1959 Morris Minor pickup that i have lusted after for 30 years - My friend finally let it go and I had to have it - It was in the same price range as your Jeep and I figured "How can I go Wrong". I was right - got it running easily drives fine - now on to body and paint and I'm as happy as a Pig in Slop. Buy it, Drive, Love it.

Guest johnnydef47

i would tell you where it is located but i am afriad you may get to him before me lol.

i plan on fixing this up little by little to run alot in the summer some off roading and just plain having fun. i had an all original 1947 new yorker which i loved and sadly got rid of so i know i what i have coming with this but i am a jeep man anyway so its worth it.

Guest johnnydef47

one other thing i forgot to mention. there is no title which is worying me a little i know i can get one generated but i cannot find one naywhere on the vehicle. its not on the black panel on the dash. any thoughts?

If you like it buy it. You can have a lot of laughs for $600 bucks but you will never have a show winner or museum piece.

I'd keep it as is, representing an authentic example of how Jeeps were used on ranches and farms back when they were something new.

Naturally if you can buy it for less you should. I'm just saying, if it appeals to you, enjoy it for what it is but don't try to make it something it isn't.