1997 Le Sabre advice

DAVES89

Dave, How much is the seller asking for the car, and how rusty is it. The rockers usually go on these models and are difficult to replace. I bought a 96 custom two years ago with 106k and rusty rockers for $2,200 from one of my wife's friends. The Twin Cities CarSoup lists five 87 LeSabre's with from 80k to 163k, and priced from $2,695 to $4,250. There is also a 97 Regal with a 3.8, 158k for $2,850. Unless he's looking for a $500 -$1,000 car, I'd keep looking.

Just my 2 cents.

With THAT many miles, I'd be concerned about the timing chain, too.

Check the oil pressure but also notice how the pressure acts as the engine starts and then after it's fully warmed. I'd try to check it after it's been driven about 10+ miles at highway speeds AND also inquire as to what weight of oil was being used--just for general principles. I rather doubt it is an oil pressure sending unit issue.

If he's wanting a LeSabre in particular, there are usually some nicer ones that surface from time to time . . . "estate cars". Might find them on the tote-the-note lots as their age and mileage is usually greater than what many dealerships want on their used car lots, so they go through the auction network instead. But you can also find some nice Regals, too, plus other GM vehicles that also used the Buick 3800 V-6 in them.

Happy Hunting!

NTX5467

My S-I-L is very careful with his money and only drives 2 miles to work. This car is only $500.00 and is what got his attention. I will encourage him to spend a little more and get a nicer car. Many times the most expensive car is the cheapest car. If you know what I mean...