Random radio play

heygibb

Like most of you, my radio has had the crackling problem w/the speakers on and off for years. I've read about the crossover replacement for the front units to deal w/ that. That is not my current problem w/ the sound system. What I am experiencing now is random functioning of the radio. At times, the radio plays normally. Other times, it takes several minutes for it to play. After a period of time, the sound is gone again.

I have the radio only version, no CD, and have noticed even when there is no sound, the stations indicate they are tuned in on the readout. The radio stays lit up, whether making sound or not. When there is no sound, I can bump the volume control up to max and can barely hear the sound of the station it's tuned to. I first thought it was a problem w/ the wiring to the speakers, but now I know that's not the issue. All the speakers either work or don't work. There is no issue w/ individual speakers.

I've thought of replacing the unit w/ a newer one in the past, but not having a standard head unit size in these cars has kept me from doing so.

I was wondering if these symptoms are something anyone else has experienced.

Thanks for any input on where i should go from here. I read many threads about the Reatta sound system and did not come across this particular situation.

Tim

Guest wally888

Have same problem=works a few minutes (gets warm?) , crackle/pop and very low volumn......mine don't recover or at least I always turn off .

Interesting. I've got the same (similar) issue with two '90s. The little volume tic marks on the radio dail indicate correct volume. Increasing the volume manually moves the tic marks as if it's getting louder, but no or faint sound from the speakers. Hit a bump, and it blasts away, scaring the hell out of you.

Now, I have found that giving the dash a good 'wap' on the side of the radio, the volume will return.

One of those things I havn't gotten around to fix...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Sounds like you output amplifiers are frazelled. Could be the caps in the signal line between the preamp and output amps are all open also.

Not too hard to troubleshoot. Caps are easy to find and replace, output amp chips not so much. Another option would be to bring the preamp signals out of the case and connect up to an external amp.

Either repair the radio or simply get a replacement.

Sounds like you output amplifiers are frazelled. Could be the caps in the signal line between the preamp and output amps are all open also.

Not too hard to troubleshoot. Caps are easy to find and replace, output amp chips not so much. Another option would be to bring the preamp signals out of the case and connect up to an external amp.

Either repair the radio or simply get a replacement.

Thanks for the informed reply and so quickly. I've done a little soldering in my day, so I may attempt what you are suggesting. Do you have a picture of the offending caps so I can ID them? What should they read on the meter? Are they available from the 'shack'?

By chance, is there a thread that has suggestions for aftermarket replacement head units? I know there is no exact fit but maybe someone has adapted a unit or two to the opening. I can look up the OEM repair company I ran across it while looking for answers. "M&R" something or other, I believe, if I choose to go that route.

Thanks again

Tim

Guest Mc_Reatta

Here's a link to a thread with recommended repair houses and some info on replacing the caps yourself.

There is some confusion if the circuit board used in the 90, 91s is the same as the one in the 88, 89 radios. For sure it is not located in the same area and chassis as the other.

So I can't tell you if the info and photos in this link and on Ronnie's site will be accurate for your unit or not.

Still looking for the link to the info on what head unit was a good match for the Reatta's. Some looked right but had the wrong colored lighting (Pontiac?).

I'll post if I can find it.

If you look at the 90-91 radio, it is easy to see that it is really three pieces: a head unit with controls, a casette deck, and a radio body which looks a lot like the modular unit used in 88-89.

Guest squiretom

only my driver rear speaker works ok , the driver door speakers are faint.

my tape deck ( refurb) works fine but equalizer and fade box is not working.

has anyone found a good economical replacement radio 1.5 din in size ?

also it takes a few minutes for the radio portion to put out a signal to the working speaker.

just like old vacuum tube radios.

If you do not have a CD (or maybe even if you do), for a 90-91 I'd go to a later AM/FM/CD with EQ, they seem to have a lot less trouble. Just be aware that Pontiacs usually have amber lighting & make sure the Theft-Lok is unlocked.

only my driver rear speaker works ok , the driver door speakers are faint.

my tape deck ( refurb) works fine but equalizer and fade box is not working.

has anyone found a good economical replacement radio 1.5 din in size ?

also it takes a few minutes for the radio portion to put out a signal to the working speaker.

just like old vacuum tube radios.

As Padgett mentioned, the head unit is modular. Once you remove the unit, the radio/amp box unplugs from the top by removing a couple of screws. You can then repair/replace it without bothering the tape deck and front panel. When it is working, it is actually a very good sounding unit.

IIRC, there are two versions of the radio/amp box from that era GM car/truck: The one which supports the 5-band equalizer and the one that does not. Obviously you want the former.

If you are set on replacing the entire head unit with something modern, there are some aftermarket 1.5 DIN units around. Check Crutchfield. There are also kits to install 1 DIN units into the 1.5 DIN opening.

In my Reatta, I chose to get the original unit rebuilt. Then added a rebuilt Delco CD player to keep everything looking 'as it came from the factory'. (See recent thread.) If I were more sane about such things, I probably should have looked for a late-'90s Delco 1.5 DIN unit from a GM SUV - like the one in my Suburban.

are the late 90's suv units plug and play wiring wise ?

or do i have to figure which wire goes where?

I have not seriously looked into it, so can not say for sure. But if they are different, all the connectors and 'reverse' connectors are readily available from outfits like Scosche and Metra to make a plug and play adapter cable.

If one does need to build an adapter cable, I know that when I redid the stereo in my '90 Regal, I had to build a 3-way cable. (Had to keep the old head and radio/amp box alive for the clock. The new 1-DIN sized head unit replaced the cassette deck in the lower portion of the dash.) I tried connectors from Metra, Scosche, and American International. Of the three, the Metra was the best. The others mysteriously elided an illumination wire or two. You wouldn't need a 3-way cable in a Reatta. But given my experience, if I were to build an adapter cable I would use Metra over the others.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

So this is cool... I was just perusing Metras web site. For some reason, you have to search on a Riv, because the Reatta entry is mostly empty. The connectors are #70-1858 (plugs into the cars wiring harness(es)), and #71-1858 (the 'reverse' version). These are the same as my '90 Regal and '96 Suburban. So it all seems plug and play...

Interestingly, Metra shows a new product called the BT-1858. Allows hooking ones cell phone into the system via a 'Parrot Bluetooth car kit' . Anyone used one of these? I wonder if this works with cars that have the CD player installed? here is a link: Metra BT-1858 (met-bt1858) - Add Bluetooth to your Factory Stereo System - Sonic Electronix