Starting a 55 buick with out key

srhustiene55

It's called hot wiring. You need to get 2 pieces of wire with little clamps on the end like roach clips or tiny jumper cables.

One is used to connect the coil the other for the starter. On your Buick the starter is worked by pushing the gas to the floor believe it or not. I'm not sure where to hook the jumper cables on that model but there must be a starter relay under the hood someplace.

Hopefully a Buick owner will weigh in with the real lowdown.

On second thoughts one wire to the coil may energize both circuits. Worth a try anyway.

Guest 46BuickSuper

My 46 Super has a starter on the gas pedal so as long as the ignition is not turned to the locked position then you will be able to start the engine. And the engine does not look like it ran 3 years ago, I don't know what else the sellers told you but I'd be wary. Good luck with your project!

Thanks for all the helpfull info, It does have the switch for the off and on, I turned it to the on position so it should be good, I will pick up a battery for it and see if I can get it going, My other 55 does not have an engine or trans so I have never started a 55 buick before, But it sounds like it is the same as my 1949 Roadmaster that I had. with the starter in the floor.

Thanks!

The starter switch is actually mounted on the side of the carburetor.

Once vacuum is established, the ball valve in the starter mechanism shuts off the starter.

Once the ignition switch is turned to ON. You should be able to start the car from under the hood simply by opening the throttle fully. If the carb mounted starter switch is bad, you simply replace it with a toggle switch.