car wrap?

ice man

I will be towing my Reatta from upstate NY to Florida in the next few weeks,and wanted to cover the front end to keep stone chips at a minmum. I inquired at a local dealership as to what the new cars had on them. I got everything from a shoulders up questioning look to "I think it's shrink wrap".Does anybody know what the factory uses to cover their new cars? Can it be reused? What is it called? Can it be purchased? I've never seen the material up close, but it doesn't appear to be wrapped around the entire car, just stuck to say the hood or trunk. If anyone knows what that stuff is and if it's available to the general public please chime in. I know they shrink wrap boats, but that's over the entire boat, not just in specific spots. If it's got a specific name at least I can google it. Thanks

Tom

Guest Jim Piro

When we went to car shows, I used to wrap the front with the same stuff new cars had. I got a free roll from 3-m. I don't remember the name but others got the info from me.

Good luck!

Look up a product called VentureShield:

Product is manufactured by a customer of mine and is a good item. There are templates and installers for most vehicles.

If you have problems finding it PM me and I'll get you a contact.

Thank's for all of the replys. Ventureshield appears to be a permanent product and there are no installers closer than 70 miles from me. I've checked the 3-M site and couldn't find what Jim was talking about. I'll have to recheck closer. What I see on new cars is white plastic just stuck to the hoods, trunks, etc. I don't believe it wraps around like Saran Wrap. Once at your destination, just pull it off. Nothing fancy, just temporary protection.

Tom

Call a local moving company. They use the stuff to wrap furniture to help prevent nicks and to keep dresser drawers closed. Pulls right off after the move. I have part of a roll of it from a move we did a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the box for it so can not tell the brand name.

I believe that stuff is nothing more than the clear wrap that is used to hold boxes etc. when stacked on pallets. Very similar to saran wrap. Not sure how well something like that is going to hold up tooling down the road at 60 + mph though.

Stopped by a body shop today and the guy suggested a product called slipguard. It was an adheasive backed plastic used to protect floor mats. We tried a sample on a painted surface to see if it would pull the paint. It stuck very well and didn't damage the surface. The guy said he just covered a windshield with it for protection. Other than being on the thinner side, this may be the way I want to go. I'll have to see how expensive it is for a roll. It may be way more than I'll ever use.

Tom

Guest WEB 38

Try your local marinea they use it to store boats and will probably give you a piece big enough for what you need. Bill WEB 38

Guest Jim Piro

The white film I use lasted from MA to MN.

Pased a gravel truck on the way out in heavy, heavy rain. Gravel took out the windshield (number four) but the paint was perfect. If applied properly, the stuff is great!

Guest Jim Piro

I KNEW someone would ask. I will have to go thru all my stuff which will take a lot, lot of time. I gave this info to other folks-PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN! Barney, what was the stuff??