1927 stutz brougham value/issues

Guest steve k

Guest steve k

hi,

i'm considering a 1927 stutz. it is a running driving car. fair condition. a somewhat worn intact old car. any comments as to what it is worth.

also are there any serious issues with these cars. i've read the 1926 had brake problems.

thanks, steve

Steve,

1926 and 1927 Stutzes came with Timken Hydrostatic brakes which used rubber bags filled with water. Almost all Stutzes have been converted to hydraulic brakes. I have a Stutz with "water" brakes and they work just fine, but most people are not willing to go to the expense of restoring them. One of my 1927 Stutzes is a brougham and it is, by far, my favorite car.

Steve

1925 Stutz sedan

1926 Stutz sedan

1927 Stutz sedan

1926 Stutz limousine

1927 Stutz Brougham

1929 Blackhawk sedan

Guest steve k

yes it is that one. they are a little flexable on price. it is hard to find comparables as, there are very few that come up for sale.

steve

Guest 1Packard

Guys have you seen the red 27 Brougham on EBAY? Look closely at the photos. The price they are asking is $87,500. Which to me, given the #1 condition, seems like a steal. Out my league, but I'm quite impressed!

Other Makes: eBay Motors (item 130416834213 end time Aug-23-10 05:06:36 PDT)

Love my Packard, but my next dream car is a Stutz. One other question, was Bearkat a model? I knew the name since boyhood, I always thought it was part of the Stutz Corp. name. Thanks!

One other question, was Bearkat a model? I knew the name since boyhood, I always thought it was part of the Stutz Corp. name. Thanks!

Yes, the Bearcat was just a model name...though it was so famous that many people probably thought it was part of the company name.

Bearcats were built 1912-24 and again...as "Super Bearcats"...in 1931-33.

Edited by JohnBoyle (see edit history)

Guys have you seen the red 27 Brougham on EBAY? Look closely at the photos. The price they are asking is $87,500. Which to me, given the #1 condition, seems like a steal. Out my league, but I'm quite impressed!

Other Makes: eBay Motors (item 130416834213 end time Aug-23-10 05:06:36 PDT)

Love my Packard, but my next dream car is a Stutz. One other question, was Bearkat a model? I knew the name since boyhood, I always thought it was part of the Stutz Corp. name. Thanks!

87k for this body style, although very nicely done seems high in this market. Although I could easily see the restoration being 100k or more I do not believe that price is attainable. There was a nice older restoration 28 BB LeBaron Roadster that sold not to long ago for around 70k.

post-31305-143138272623_thumb.jpg

Hrllo,

the gray car which has the same body as the red but not the same finition is for sale at Hyman Ltd, in St Louis, MO HYMAN LTD.

It is not so luxuous as the red, red has 2 sidemounts when gray has rear spare and the mohair interior as the paint must be refreshed, it's probably and surely the reason of fair priced at $29.500

post-61854-143138275935_thumb.jpg

post-61854-143138275954_thumb.jpg

Yes, but a 540K is a different car, different price also. more appreciated being Cabriolet A, Cabriolet B, C, D and the very rare Cabriolet F are appreciated with other views.

All Mercedes, Benz, and Mercedes-Benz are beautiful European cars, like other German ones, Horch, Audi, ...

Personally I prefer U.S. cars, the europeans prefer to collect U.S. cars (I am Belgian and my familly always had U.S. cars already in 1930) and the U.S. citizens who can do it, are looking for European luxury cars. It is the game!

Guest zantafio

Y think the price for the grey body is a good value!

The car seem in runing condition and he is not necessary to fit 100 kf dollar for restauration.

The original condition for use is also a desirable choose is not it?.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things about that '27 Hyman has for sale ---

One note that the steering-mounted levers are broken. Those things are pot metal and frequently break off from use, but it suggests that they are swelled to the point where they are immobile --- they don't move. If they were always free they probably wouldn't have broken off. I looked at an all original 1927 once that had the same problem --- those levers broken and the whole insides of the steering swelled tight. Not sure how you would fix that.

The other thing to consider on a Stutz Vertical Eight is that they are geared very low. The worm gearing on the rear axle gives them only about a 5:1 ratio, which is very VERY low. To be driveable without the engine screaming means they really need an overdrive. Someone once told me that this together with the overhead valve nature of the engine resulted in a very "busy" engine --- lots of high rpm noise when you are at speed. Gotta ask yourself if you can live with an engine that feels perpetually in second gear.

Most 1920s cars save Duesenberg and a few others are not modern highways cars without modification. In fact, most 1930s cars need help to cruise along at 65mph consistently. I think it all depends on what you are going to do with it. Cruising around town to local shows would be perfect for this.

Btw, if anyone buys it I think I have those steering wheel levers.