Oakland Production Numbers for 1924-1925 - need info

ford_1919

Hello all,

Does anyone have the Oakland production statistics for 1924-1925. I have a 1925 Oakland Coach (two-door sedan) and would like to know how many were produced. I was able to come across some '25 Oldsmobile figures, but nothing for the Oakland. Any leads are appreciated. Also, I would like to correspond with other owners of 6-54 model Oaklands and share the experience. Thanks much! Erik

Guest c.johnson

I remember the book "75 Years of Pontiac Oakland" by John Gunnell lists production numbers for various years and models, but not for specific body types. I checked one out at the local library a few years ago, as it's about $50.00 to $75.00 to purchase an actual book.

I submit this with a small caviet: it is unlikely that Mr Gunnell has seen many Oaklands in his experience, as I have found a few errors comparing is publication to actual vehicles.

I would be glad to correspond about Oaklands, but most of my experience is in older models.

cj

hi, oakland had in 1925, 19 different body styles, and none are listed as a "coach", i strongly advise you to join the pontiac oakland club international. i'll go through my pontiac library, and search for production fiqures, but you need to provide the factory style information. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Thank much CJ and Charles for the replies - I will try to track down a copy of "75 Years of Pontiac Oakland" - Sounds like a great read. As to the "Coach"... My understanding is that the two-door sedan or "Coach" body by Fisher was introduced right around the first of the 1925 calendar year. I have several old Oakland car ads and have noticed that there is no mention of the "New Coach" until January 1925. As with other makes, I'm assuming that changes and improvement were made on an ongoing basis and not just when a new model year was introduced, usually late summer or fall. I encourage other input - Thanks again! Erik (ford_1919)

In 1924 Oakland built 37070 (Serial numbers 1- 37070) model 6-54. Don't have production by body style. In 1925 Oakland had a coach. The 1925 Models were B-6-54, Those serial numbers went from 37100 - 64523.

Guest c.johnson

Very nice looking Car!! Hope it runs as nice as it looks, and I'm sure it's a lot of fun.

Probably just me, but title "New Coach" sounds a lot like a advertising gimic, as Oakland was making 2 door models since around 1915. New title means more sales. But if I remember correctly, Oakland did change to the Fischer body about 1925, maybe that explains the change in title more correctly.

Just curious, but is your engine a Saganaw? There is probably a clover leaf stamped on the engine block with the initials S-P-C (or something like that) on it....

I have a '22 Oakland with a Saganaw engine, and think they continued until 1928(?)

I would like to correspond with other owners of 6-54 model Oaklands and share the experience. Thanks much! Erik

Hello Erik, are you an AACA member? If so there is an AACA Oakland-Pontiac chapter that probably has the most Oakland people to be found in one club. Go to the AACA Home page, see the section for chapters & regions and click on Non-Geographical.

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

hi, oakland had in 1925, 19 different body styles, and none are listed as a "coach", i strongly advise you to join the pontiac oakland club international. i'll go through my pontiac library, and search for production fiqures, but you need to provide the factory style information. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

There is a model called "Oakland Six Coach for Five" and I believe it is the one in the picture that Eric provided. Check to make for sure if you have the 2 dr sedan with 34" doors. this unit sold for $1,215 and weighed 2,745 pounds. The only production figures I have is for the 6-54B at 27,423 units. Not sure if that 6-54B means all Oaklands.

Don

Thanks to all for the replies, great information and suggestions. I looked closely at the body tag on the right rear of the frame and found number 60284 which I would assume means my car was made later in the '25 production year. I purchased this car last September - As a Model T guy, I am really enjoying the Oakland's features, design and history. The car appears to have been rebuilt, painted, and upholstered sometime back, but never completely disassembled. The red/white/blue color como is not original but the car is sure fun for now - Perhaps someday I'll get it back to its original "sage green" and black. I've been doing mostly maintenance and cosmetic work and running it on tours with our Model T club - Running great and with a little style! I don't know if there are any "Saginaw" references on the engine, I haven't seen anything so far - I'll look a little closer. I live in northern California - Sierra foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe (Applegate/Weimar to be more exact). Thanks again - It is wonderful to have all the help! Erik (ford_1919)

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve Hughes

I have never seen any references that show that Oakland ever had a Saginaw engine. Not saying it didn't, I have just never seen any references as such. I know that they had engines supplied by GM's Northway division at least through 1923. The engines were changed in 24, but I don't know who made them.

I have just recently located a 1922 or 23 Oakland touring parts car located near Abilene, KS. If anyone would be interested in this send me a PM with your email address and I will send some pictures and contact information.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Interested to read here discussion about various engine supliers. I recall reading somewhere that GM did not get its own engine block casting facility until about 1924, so up to that date at least, all of its engines came from outside suppliers. I have an early Pontiac engine which is a Ferro. What happened to Northway after GM got its foundry I don't know. I think Northway even built the Cadillac V8s.

Thanks very much for the reply and information. I've learned a lot so far - Based on my frame serial number, my '25 Oakland was probably made later on in the production year. As to the engine - I now am in the process of a rebuild and have noticed quite a few numbers in the castings of the cylinder block and head as well as inspection stamps. Nothing that specifically states "GM" or "Oakland" but there is an interesting "shamrock" like feature cast into both the block and head - About 3/4" in diameter with the letters "P" and "S" in two of the leaves - Not sure if this is indication of a sub-contracted castings or a GM marking. If my memory serves me, I thought the shamrock was a GM parts symbol at one time - Any additional ideas?