BUICK RAINIER V8 Fuel Mileage?

Mudbone

Guessing from what I have heard you will probably get similar mileage from the Ranier. The big question is what axle is in each vehicle. Sounds like your Astro van is an all wheel drive with trailer towing package and axle. I have a 2 wheel drive Astro and get16-19 around town and when it had fewer miles/ closer to new could get up to 25 on the highway. It now has 223,000 miles and gets about 20-22 on the road.

Does anyone own a Rainer V8? I would like some real world input on fuel mileage. I now have a 2000 astro van. It has never gotten beter that 16 going down hill!! Thanks, Ken

I have a 2004 V8 Rainer and knocking around town, about 14-16 mpg (mine is AWD too). On the highway, look for about 20.

Mine is for sale if you are interested. Less than 50,000 miles, never a scratch, new tires.

With modern electronic fuel injection, driving style and TERRAIN can make a huge difference in mpg. Every time the powertrain computer gets a "let's go" input from the accel pedal/throttle position sensor, however so slight, it puts more fuel into the engine IMMEDIATELY (microseconds?), similar when you take your foot out of it (with a max of 99mpg reading on the "Instant Economy" readout in the DIC). Hence, a vehicle that might get 20mpg on the "flat and straight" can easily go into the low teens going up a hill--with or without the cruise control OR downshifting.

From my experiences, it's best to let the cruise do the work as it'll pull throttle out, for example, just as you might crest a hill and immediately go into "coast" mode (99mpg) going down the other side. Keeping a steady throttle and gaining speed on the down-side only increases the mpg marginally!

Using the "+" button to increase speed will use much less fuel for incrental speed increases than using your foot, too.

On modern verhicles with a Driver Information Center readout for "Inst Eco", you can see all of this stuff happening as it happens. If only an "Average Eco" reading is available, just have it in the fuel economy readout mode and press the "Clear" button for it to start over again when you might want a more current "instant" fuel economy reading.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

More questions. I also have a 99 Park ave. with the mileage computer. It lies. Compare your computer average mileage with doing it the old fashion way. Fill the tank, write down the miles and then do it again when you fill it up. My Park Ave is 3.5 MPG off. So I guess I am asking what is the real world mpg. Without using the computer? My Astro is 2-wheel drive and I have never done better than 16 mpg on the hwy. I used to brag how my Park Ave could get 33 MPG until I checked it with the pencil. I am considering buying a Rainer but wanted to know more about the mileage. Thanks for all the info. Ken

The 6 and the 8 with "Displacement on Demand" in 2006 had virtually the same fuel economy rating in the brochures. We generally get high teens in the city and mid to high 20s on the highway with the inline 6. Another big factor for these is wind. The 6 doesn't have a lot of power, so when you hit a head wind (or try to tow a boat), you take a big fuel economy hit.

More questions. I also have a 99 Park ave. with the mileage computer. It lies. Compare your computer average mileage with doing it the old fashion way. Fill the tank, write down the miles and then do it again when you fill it up. My Park Ave is 3.5 MPG off. So I guess I am asking what is the real world mpg. Without using the computer? My Astro is 2-wheel drive and I have never done better than 16 mpg on the hwy. I used to brag how my Park Ave could get 33 MPG until I checked it with the pencil. I am considering buying a Rainer but wanted to know more about the mileage. Thanks for all the info. Ken

My figures are the old fashion way, pen to paper. My mileage computer is a little off...but not much.