What is up with this transmission

Ames63

So I was driving home yesterday, pulled out of the parking lot and hit the open rode. I suspect I was in 1st gear, got up to around 25-28 mph and the tranny shifted to second but did not feel second gear kick in. Engine rpm shot up to 2800-2900 rpm though and I felt just the slightest bit of acceleration, almost like being in 10th gear on a bicycle. After the srtuggle to get up to a good speed ~48mph the tranny shifted again, I guess into 3rd and then 4th. Those shifts were normal.

After getting off the Hwy and back on the city streets the tranny misbehaved again. Made it home, but boy what a struggle. tell me have I lost second gear or do I need a new or rebuilt tranny? I am clueless when it comes to transmissions.

Tranny fluid is red, with no burnt smell. I do have a lot of miles on the car~224k. i had been reading some of the previous post and I noticed some recommendations are to check a motor mount or flush the tranny. Does anyone know what mount causes this problem? How to check it? And flushing how is this accomplished?

Guest crazytrain2

I know I'm grasping here but you might try disconecting the battery for 10-15 minutes, reconnect and give her a spin. ECM shift point settings may have become corrupted and this will basically reboot ECM. Not sure they could get out of whack enough to cause that big of an issue though.

Also look to see if your tranny has a vacuum modulator on it - it will look like a a 3-4" diameter metal cylinder about 4-5" in length with a hose coming attached to it - mounted on the front of your tranny. If you do pull the hose off and see if any oil comes out - if it does then vacuum modulator is bad.

Hope that's of any help to you.

The 91 has an electronic transmission (4T60E) that is controlled by the PCM (aka ECM). On earlier ones (440T4/4T60) it is hydromechanical with only the TCC (lockup) electrically controlled.

Did you try the Seafoam TransTune ?

"Remanufactured" particularly by GM, is better than rebuilt. Remaned transmissions are (should be) brought up to latest specs. There were a lot of TSBs on the 440T4/4T60 between 1988 and 1991.

Close, in the 1990 model year the designation of the 440T4 transmission was changed to 4T60. It was a label change only. At the same time the 44T4/4T60 was undergoing a continuous improvement program primarily to increase durability and load capability. The 1991 4T60 had the benefit of all of these upgrades as does any GM SERTA remanufactured transmission.

SO it is correct to say that the 88-90 Reattas all use the same transmission.