ATTN Dave Corbin

50jetback

Hi Dave, hope you had fun with the " ankle biters " in Denver.

Have touched on this before but I have a bit more info to add.

1936 Series 60 Convertible Coupe

Chassis number 2,850,633

Engine number 3001693

Fisher Body Plate BODY NUMBER 2

Buick model 36 - 66CX

Fisher style 36-4667

The vehicle came with a second motor which I have only recently had transported over from the east coast. the number of this engine is

The engine in the vehicle ( 3001693 ) has been rebuilt

Any way of telling which would be the original engine?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart:

Ok,you've asked a really specific question and given some detailed input, especailly that BODY number.

My frame number listings indicate that 2,850,633 was built around the second week of October 1935 and the engine (3,001,693) is a 3rd week of September 1935 unit.

However, you also showed me the body number of 2 for a 1936 66CX. The monthly reports of finished cars show that NO 66CX's were built before October, 1935 when Buick made 7 1936 66CX's in LHD and 4 in RHD. A body number of 2 confirms absolutely early to mid October 1935. Based on this information, you can be absolutely sure to use 3,001,693!

3, 105,379 is also a 1936 engine, but probably was run around mid-April 1936. Both engines should be big series 320 engines, brand new for the 1936 model year.

Looks like it's score one more for "Good Ole Down-Under!!". Is it a RHD unit? Both RHD and LHD would be extremely rare. For info, total production for 1936 66CX was 49!

OK, some real eye popper info: That figure of 49 breaks down as 40 LHD and 9 RHD!!! This specially prepared for you by adding the monthly reports up for the 1936 model year.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Is it a RHD unit? Both RHD and LHD would be extremely rare. For info, total production for 1936 66CX was 49!

OK, some real eye popper info: That figure of 49 breaks down as 40 LHD and 9 RHD!!! This specially prepared for you by adding the monthly reports up for the 1936 model year.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks Dave, another great answer.

Nice to know the car is running its original motor.

I didn't realise you had production numbers for LHD V's RHD on the export models, more great information.

Mine is factory RHD so I guess that identifies it as one of the 9 RHD Century Convertible Coupes manufactured for export in 1936.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...
On 6/22/2010 at 11:35 AM, Guest DaveCorbin said:

Dear Stuart:

Ok,you've asked a really specific question and given some detailed input, especially that BODY number.

My frame number listings indicate that 2,850,633 was built around the second week of October 1935 and the engine (3,001,693) is a 3rd week of September 1935 unit.

However, you also showed me the body number of 2 for a 1936 66CX. The monthly reports of finished cars show that NO 66CX's were built before October, 1935 when Buick made 7 1936 66CX's in LHD and 4 in RHD. A body number of 2 confirms absolutely early to mid October 1935. Based on this information, you can be absolutely sure to use 3,001,693!

3, 105,379 is also a 1936 engine, but probably was run around mid-April 1936. Both engines should be big series 320 engines, brand new for the 1936 model year.

Looks like it's score one more for "Good Ole Down-Under!!". Is it a RHD unit? Both RHD and LHD would be extremely rare. For info, total production for 1936 66CX was 49!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Dave, I see you were a guest on this forum when you had discussion with Stuart Symes regarding his 1936 Century 66CX, so I'm not sure if you will get this message.

I just thought I would inform you that Stuart sadly died from cancer on March 28th this year (nearly 3 weeks ago). I met him back in early December when myself and a friend visited him and my friend purchased the car so it now resides near Sydney, Australia (I live in Adelaide, South Australia). Within 10 minutes of Stuart's home I purchased a 1941 Roadmaster 76C needing complete restoration which I am now carrying out.

Stuart was a very pleasant man to talk with and my friend Dallas got along with him particularly well as they had similar backgrounds (Stuart a retired policeman, and Dallas a retired prison warden who's father was also a policeman). Stuart was very happy to sell the car to Dallas, as it is now obvious that he knew his time was very limited. It was a pleasure to have met him.

1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

Dave Corbin passed away Aug 2012

Link-->

People who do not post/log in for X years have their account deactivated (~ guest)

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that. I was trying to tell him about someone else who had died from cancer. Sad!