point deductions

Guest j gary dilaura

No deduction for factory fish eyes if I were judging the car. If it was obvious you had repainted the fender and the fish eyes were only on the repainted parts I might deduct a point or two.

Just to be silly. How about if the car owner had a picture of the fender before the repaint and it showed factory fish eyes he more or less duplicated? That could make for an interesting judges/captain huddle.

As I have mentioned before, not many shops (or maybe none at all) would put out what would be considered shoddy work, even if it is an exact duplication of what came from the factory. Only the very most hardcore purist would ask for that.

Sorry Susan, I wasn't implying that we should use shoddy workmanship. I was more trying to make a point that low cost car in particular should be looked at a little kinder. Not that we should take points off if they are well done.

Edited by Jim Bollman (see edit history)

Sorry Sue I wasn't implying that we should use shoddy workmanship. I was more trying to make a point that low cost car in particular should be looked at a little kinder. Not that we should take points off if they are well done.

Oh, I know you didn't mean that. But some folks think that "over restoration" should be the subject of deductions. But in some cases a shop would not put out that kind of work. It would kill their business to do so.

My theory is you try to restore the vehicle to appear as the AVERAGE example of its kind appeared when it arrived at the dealership. Any particular car COULD have had excess orange peel or overspray and one might have had a perfect paint job but the average example likely conformed pretty closely to what its designers intended and had budgeted for. Dad had a new 1979 Chev pickup that was coincidentally close to the color of the primer that was applied to the vehicle at the factory. There was an area maybe 4 by 6 inches on the back of the cab that had virtually no paint but was almost unnoticeable because of the similarly colored primer. Would I restore the truck that way? Of course not, because that was not the factory's intention nor did it represent (I hope) the majority of its peers. Just my opinion of course.

Yup, I agree. Just because it came from the factory that way doesn't make it "correct"..................Bob

The late Benny Bootle felt the same way. Back in the mid-90's he was my Team Captain at my very first AGN show in Dayton, Ohio. I was judging exteriors and he told me to make sure that the hood, trunk and doors were aligned correctly. That by the time a vehicle was going for an AGN award any mis-alignments should have been corrected. :)