Touch-up paint

raleets

Howdy,

Here's some great news for anybody looking for a good selection of low cost touch-up paint for their Reatta.

After being told by my local professional auto paint store that I must buy a minimum of one pint of red paint for my '91 Reatta at a minimum of $50, I took a buddy's advice and made a trip to the corner Advance Auto Parts store.

Voilla!! There it was, right on the shelf, #8774 Bright Red, in both the little

2 in 1 "Scratch Fix" tube and the 8 oz. Dupli-Color "Perfect Match" spray bomb!!

I just about did a double back flip in aisle #3!!

Couldn't get home fast enough to go to work repairing those annoying little scratches, stone chips, etc. that have been bugging me for months.

Within two fun-filled hours I was beaming from ear to ear and giddy with how nice it turned out.

NO, it's not like a professional job, but unless you get your nose up real close and personal you can't see the boo-boos anymore.

The total price, out the door, was about $13.50 for both containers and I've got enough left to fix up dings for a lifetime.

Can't swear that they've got all the colors, but it only took about two minutes to find the correct 1991 Bright Red.

Happy days are here again!

Cheers,

Bob Leets :D

• 6 months later...
Guest ReattaFan1
Howdy,

Here's some great news for anybody looking for a good selection of low cost touch-up paint for their Red Reatta. #8774 Bright Red, in both the little

2 in 1 "Scratch Fix" tube and the 8 oz. Dupli-Color "Perfect Match" spray bomb!!

Thanks!!! Do you know if the color is the same on the 88? Ive got allot of touch up and clear coat repair to do. Its nice, on these cars the clear coat is thick and cleaning off easily. Its coming off the top in big sheets so I figured since the base coat is still in good shape I'd get a few cans of clear coat and do the repair myself. It's just a few places where I'd need to touch up some scratches before starting the clear. I once a long while back I re worked the clear coat on a trunk lid. With lots of patience sanding between coats it looked perfect. The only other thing is I recall it was ruined about a week later when it rained the clear coat turned milky. It cleared up a little once it sat out in the sun but it wasnt the gleaming mirror finish I once had. I think it was just a cheep can of clear. Ive got to do some research before I start.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ReattaFan1

Im slowly getting the stuff together so I can do all my prep work myself. Once I get her looking good I'll send it in to Macco for clear coating. My LH Front Fender has a hole the size of a silver dollar and have to do some Fiberglass work. The hole is right at the top and no lower than the pinstripes so I think can mask off the lower half of the fender at the pinstripe and give it a spray with the 8774 dupli-color. I looked in the Retta Docs and was surprised to find their saying to fix the plastic fenders with fiberglass repair. I thought they'd go with the pastic welder approach but Im going to stick with the repair manual. An update on the touch up paint on the Red Reattas. The spray Dupli-Color can is BGM0398 Brt Red(81WA8774) And the Touch up Scratch Fix 2 in 1 is NG GM 398 Bright Red 81,WA 8774. I found both available at Pep Boys

DSC00241.jpg

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)