1928 Brocklebank

Hello everyone. No I have not started my next project quite yet. A friend here in Aust is restoring a 1928 Brocklebank Sedan. He is looking for information regarding Personne Reed shockabsorbers (hydraulic). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bernie j.

Hello TG

Broclebank was an English car built along American lines between 1927 and 29 It was a six cylinder (2 Litre) ohv sedan of rather dated appearance, even in 1927. very few survive. My friend who owns this one is vaguely related to the Broclebank family and has had his up to now unrestored car for a long time but is just getting around to doing something with it. I will ask if he can provide some photos. What he really needs is some info on Personne-Reed hydraulic shock-absorbers. )One that I have never come across.)

• 11 years later...

Hello again after something of a short break (more than 10 years)  the Brocklebank has come to the surface again.

Unfortunately the last owner has since departed and I am in the early stages of discussion re It's sale/purchase, with his widow. I am going tomorrow to look at the remains of the Brocklebank with a view to buying it.

From the very small amount of information available it sounds a very interesting potential restoration project

• Like 2

Very similar except the one I hope to buy is a two door/four window. There may be one other still with the Brocklebank family in England. You could be excused if you thought that makes it rare.

I should know a whole lot more a little later today. It is about an hours drive away. All I know is what I have been told, that the motor is out and in pieces and that it has not been driven for a very long time. I know nothing of its earlier history. I have seen it in the past but have no memory of it. The previous owner also had a Lagonda Rapier similar to mine. This has now been sold to another friend and VSCC Member.

If you read the text that goes with that photograph in Culshaw & Horrobin"s "Catalogue of British Cars", 5 short lines next to the photo;  you will know about as much as I do. I can only quote the final line. "It is believed that about two examples still survive". I can only hope that 1, I am able to buy it. and 2. That I live long enough to restore it back to a stage that I can drive it!  

Given that I can buy it,  I am giving myself FIVE more years of active life. Any more will be amazing. Even now I find it difficult to believe that I had my 85th Birthday yesterday!

Bernie j.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Having been and had a good look at the Brocklebank I have decided not to buy it. This for the one simple reason, I do not have room to either store it or do the necessary space to work on it.

I can give anyone interested in buying it contact details for the owner.

I can assure you that it is as far as possible complete and original and of course extremely rare!

Bernie J.

1469839061_Brocklebank9-21-20201-07-53PM.JPG.84dd4df90eddacd453a7f54824770b8a.JPGDSCN7476.jpg.ac0ab3aa8e50a10c23bc38fa17dc5018.jpgDSCN7483.jpg.72e19301b6cb0a59292828b952ed643f.jpg

Bernie j.

DSCN7477.jpg

DSCN7479.jpg

DSCN7478.jpg

DSCN7480.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Frank.

Below are yesterdays photographs of the Brocklebank. While a straight forward restoration somehow it just did not appeal. Perhaps that is why they never sold in the first place. The other problem was that it was too tall to fit comfortably into my little garage/workshop.

Bj.

535108230_Brocklebank9-21-20201-07-53PM.JPG.ccb88a9dd3eb430fc6d12119c7bfe402.JPG

DSCN7475.jpg

DSCN7479.jpg

DSCN7483.jpg

DSCN7478.jpg

IMG_0235.JPG

• Like 1

Just what the next move for the Brocklebank is, is open to conjecture. It is now quite definite I will not be buying it, although I am happy to act as a go between for anyone who is brave enough to take on the restoration of such a rare car. The one big plus is that It is virtually absolutely complete and unspoilt.