Re-Wiring

MarkV

So, what direction should I go? There are universal wiring kits with fuses, yes they are not original, but, they are modern and have fuses! Or should I go with original stuff, what is your experience with this? By the way, this is regarding the '48

In my experiance anything that is "universal" is almost always a POS that does nothing well and everything else half assed. If you need new wiring bite the bullet and buy a quality harness from Rhode Island Wiring or another reputable harness maker and use a battery disconnect. Their wires do have "modern" insulation they just have a braided fabric cover in correct colors and apperance.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

Especially on something like a '48 Continental; if you' re going to bother at all, do it right.

I echo the sentiments above. The manufacturer (Lincoln) fused what needed fusing just fine, as long as the wiring wasn't monkeyed with, which most old cars suffer somewhere along the way. Everyone thinks they know wiring, in addition to their specialty, and some do well (right) most don't.

Warning though: I know more than a few people who set out to "just replace the wring harness" and ended up doing a frame-up restoration because there are endless cases of

"well, while this is apart I might as well blast and paint this" and that, and that and that and that and...........................................................

be prepared: things will start working perfectly that never did before.