supercharging

harry yarnell

I've got the opportunity to purchase a supercharged 3800 out of a 2000 Century.

How do you tell if the blower is any good without firing it up?

Not sure what I'd put this in, but there's a nice '90 Reatta that has low oil pressure that might be a candidate...

If you take off the belt and turn it by hand back and forth you can tell.

If there is a loud clunking noise there is a bad bearing or connector.

Now if you can take the supercharger off you can see if there is alot of

play or slop when you turn the supercharger and look at the impellers.

Guest GPGTX2000

Without the belt, spin the pulley. The needle bearings are rarely a problem on the M90, but with higher mileage the coupler will develop slop as the holes oval. They're readily available online for around $30 and don't require much effort to change. There will be backlash with an audible clunk if the coupler is getting weak.

As far as the Buick W-Body line-up. Century was always equipped with 3100 V-6. Earliest were the M engine, started with the J engine in late 99 I believe. Regal LS was 3800 NA VIN K engine and Regal GS was 3800 SC VIN 1 L67.

For Buick's, only the Regal GS had the supercharged engine 1997-2003. I owned a 2000 GS and I thoroughly enjoyed all 240 hp and 280 lbs/ft of torque. Everything but the ABS system and related electrical components on that car was great.

Without the belt, spin the pulley. The needle bearings are rarely a problem on the M90, but with higher mileage the coupler will develop slop as the holes oval. They're readily available online for around $30 and don't require much effort to change. There will be backlash with an audible clunk if the coupler is getting weak.

You are correct about the coupler, they do wear and get sloppy. But there are other problems with high milage M90s. The rear needle bearings get sloppy with age and do decrease the boost. Also the snout bearing has a tendancy to get worn and then the seal starts to leak. I would , personally rebuild any M90 that came my way.

One other thing, inspect the impellers, making sure that the mylar coating is not worn off or chipped up. This will also decrease the boost.