Crankshaft pully squeel came back!!!

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

When I replaced my belt last week the squeel stopped for awhile, but now it has returned, however not when idleing, but when rpm is above idle. I noticed that when I was changing belt the pully had had a bit of lateral play in it. When I remove some of the belt tensiod while it is running the noise stops. Is it possible for a harmonic balancer to fail in less than 5,000 miles and is this a typical failure for a balancer? Will the balancer come apart and cause more damage?

Thank's

Richard.

For what it is worth check to see that your serpentine belt is running straight. Mine was running slightly offset as it came across the alternator. This resuleted in my now needing a new a/c compressor as well as a new tensioner. I fortunatly had a bad alternator [in storage]and swapped out the pulleys. Everything is now in alignment. Replaced the tensioner. [still need a new compressor].

Guest Richard D
For what it is worth check to see that your serpentine belt is running straight. Mine was running slightly offset as it came across the alternator. This resuleted in my now needing a new a/c compressor as well as a new tensioner. I fortunatly had a bad alternator [in storage]and swapped out the pulleys. Everything is now in alignment. Replaced the tensioner. [still need a new compressor].

Everything is in alignment, new water pump, noise goes away when I take off some of the tension, grooved section of crankshaft pully will move sideways a tiny bit on the balancer when the belt is off and you push on it with your thumb, with a fair amount of pressure.