1940 81c convertible - what the Bell???

Joe Cocuzza

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and answers to all of my questions.

Here is another "stumper" and keep in mind that as I have said before, EVERYTHING on this car looks as if it has been on the car for 70 years.

Okay, today I am under the car dropping the oil pan, which is a good thing because there was an inch of gooey sludge in it, and I decided to investigate this "strange", "odd" item in the car. On the drivers side floorboard about 1 inch away from the front seat, and more to the left, there is a "plunger" that sticks up. I cleaned around the base of the plunger and this is what is stamped on it - BEST SWEET TONED BELL / FOR HORSE CARRIAGE(S)!!!!!

While I was under the car I took a look and lo and behold - there is a bell, around 6 inches in diameter mounted to the underside of the floorboard. The bell is like the large bells used for boxing. Right now the mechanism is frozen but I am going to spray it tomorrow and see if I can get it to "ring".

Question - What the BELL is this????

I am making the assumption that wherever this car was bought new, there were horse drawn carriages around and the bell was there to be used as a warning to the horse and carriage driver that the car was approaching.

Why else would there be a bell on a car????

Question #2 -

Did Buick actually offer this as an accessory/option?

As I said, this car appears to have NEVER been altered - at least not in a very, very long time.

Which brings me back to the red beltline - again.

As you all know by now, I finally was able to open the trunk. In the trunk area is the "convertible top well" - where the top goes into when down - and the well is painted the same red as the beltline and the wheels.

Were all convertible top wells painted this red color?

If someone had the beltline/wheels painted after buying the car, why would they paint the top well, which is in the trunk and out of sight????

Thanks for reading this diatribe but I am trying to get some answers.

Can anyone tell me if there is a place/website where I can trace the vehicles history. I'd love to find out who first owned the car and where they lived.

Thanks again, Joe

Guest WEB 38

Joe the bell is an after market toy, called a Burmuta clanging bell. sold by j c witney western auto and others they come up on e bay occasionaly Have fun with it. Bill WEB 38 1920 K45 TOURING 1990 REATTA COUPE

I doubt there were many horse carriages on the road in the 1940s, unless really remote. More likely with the open car, it may have been a novelty used around a college campus, or added much later. At least that would be my theory until you learn more.

John

Thanks for the info on the Bermuda bell.

I sprayed it today and got it to clang. Now I need to work on freeing the engine up.

Today a guy told me that some farmer in Pa. used Coca Cola to fill the cylinders and this would help free up the motor.

Anyone have any thoughts / criticisms about this "method"?

I know that Coke will eat the paint off your car and that it cleans up battery cable ends real good. Very caustic. I just don't want to pour something into the cylinders that I may find out later did more harm than good.

Joe

Coke will dissolve rust. In that sense it may be OK, but if you are hoping to run the car rather than rebuilding right away, I wouldn't do it.

Marvel Mystery Oil, diesel fuel (which is an oil) are two choices that I can think of for putting in the cylinders. Let soak for a few days, add some more, wait a few more days and give it a try.

Thanks.

That's what I figured and I asked my good friend (ex-mechanic) about the coke and he said no way.

I have been using WD-40, PB Blaster and Marvel.

I guess I will just have to be patient and keep spraying everything while I have the oil pan down. I cleaned the goo out of the pan today and I am going to spray paint it tomorrow. I am waiting on the gasket set for it.

I am about half way done cleaning and polishing the outside. It is 70 year old paint so it is coming out just okay. It has some shine to it.

I won a pair of horns on Ebay for the Buick. For whatever reason my car was missing one of the dual horns. I was hoping to find it in the trunk (along with the million dollars) but neither was in there when I finally got it opened.

The interior is almost cleaned up as best as it can be.

As I go along I will try to post some updated photos.

Thanks, Joe