Can old spark plugs be restored to work again?

keiser31

Guest cben09

Old plugs can work,,,,,New plugs work better,,,Sandblasting improves,,,BE SURE TO GET ALL THE SAND OUT,,,look w/magnifier,,,sand hides,,been there done that,,,Ben

Sure, all you need is one of these.

[GISON] DG-10 Spark Plug Cleaner & Sand Blaster, Air Spot Sand Blaster, Air Tool, Air Tools, Pneumatic Tool, Pneumatic Tools, Taiwan Manufacturer, Factory, Supplier, China, Asia

Stick the spark plug in, and blast for 3 seconds.Wobble it around or in other words, rotate the end. This allows the sand to get right inside. Use a low pressure so you don't pit the insulator. 20 to 30 pounds is usually enough pressure.

Blow the sand out with compressed air then examine closely and pick out any bits of grit with a needle or Xacto knife.

Finally set the gap using a wire gapper. If the electrode is rounded off you can file it square with a points file before you set the gap but this is not totally necessary.

This is especially valuable when getting an old engine going. Plugs can get fouled up when you are tinkering with ignition, carburetor etc. and refuse to work. They get a black coating that shorts them out and it can only be removed by sandblasting.

If you had to buy new plugs every time this happened you could go through half a dozen sets by the time you get the engine running and tuned up.

Instead, clean and gap the old ones as necessary. When you have the engine purring it is time to put in the new plugs.

Spark plugs will last a long time if cleaned and gapped regularly. Up until the sixties this was a standard part of every tuneup. Now spark plugs are so cheap it is easier to replace them. Plus unleaded gas does not foul them up and modern ignitions are not so finicky about plugs.

Those plugs you are showing appear to be the type that come apart for cleaning. They have a gland nut that can be unscrewed and the insulator taken out.

If so it can be cleaned with a jacknife and fine sandpaper. No sandblast necessary although it would be more convenient to sandblast.

If you wish to restore those plugs to new appearance you can even restore the black finish to the rusty metal parts. Here is how to do it.

Sandblast the rust off then heat the parts red and drop them into a can of linseed oil. They will come out with a hard black finish like original.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Sandblasting can be hard on the porcelain insulator. With a take apart Champion as you have, cleaning is much easier and can be done with solvent when apart. Also the center electrode can be turned when reassembled to use an unworn side.

Good example. I restored my 1909 two cylinder Mason and put new plugs in it. I couldn't get the long shank plugs that were original but I kept the old ones. The engine was hard starting, I had to prime and crank hard. Finally I cleaned up the old green top Splitdorfs that had the long shank, I gaped and tested them and put them back in. My Mason now starts on the second pull. I have picked up another set for spares.