New Buick in the family

Bill Stoneberg

My wifes truck has over 1/4 million miles on it, it leaks oil and the A/C has given up the ghost. Yes, I could fix all of this but my wife wanted a new vehicle. Considering she has just got a new job and she works out of her car, I cant argue.

So I have been watching the want ads for a low milage car. Looked at a couple of low milage cars but nothing suited my fancy. Wasn't specifically looking for Buick's but all of GM.

Thursday I was looking and I saw a 2007 Buick LaCross with 10,300 miles on it. Drove to Houston on Friday, looked at the car and made a deal.

Gentleman who was selling the car was 91 years old and could not drive any more. The car had never left Houston and was well taken care of. Still has 2 years left on the 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty.

I looked at the milage computer and it showed that the average speed driven was 16.1 mph. Needless to say, It wont be driven like that much more. I drove it 250 miles home today and it ran great, has all the bells and whistles and is a comfortable car to drive. Got 25 mpg on the way home and averaged 54 mph.

So now, its time to sell the truck.

Congrats, Bill and Dee! As great as the press (and myself) have noted the 2010 LaCrosse might be, that does NOT mean that the last gen LaCrosse was not a great car--just that the 2010 has more "buzz items" in its spec sheet. In many ways, I like the prior LaCrosses better--they feel wider inside (more like a 5-passenger car than a 4-passenger car), with the fold-down back seat it can do better in hauling long items for weekend projects, AND they have BUICK engines in them.

IF anybody's interested, we have ONE new 2009 LaCrosse CXL left! It's black with chrome wheels and chrome body accents. Heavily discounted as people looking for a NEW LaCrosse seem to walk right past it to the 2010s (which we also have plenty of, too!).

The "Average Speed" readout on the Driver Information Center, from my experiences, is a good tool for highway trips, but it gets "different" when you start considering "idle time" in the mix when street driving is done.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I went close to the speed limit and had cruise locked on for the most part. Just a little in town driving on the trip. We will see what it is as Dee starts driving it for work.

Willis, yes, it does change for idle time but even still 16 mph means the man was going awe-fully slow... Hauling items, I dont think so, I still drive a truck.

Guest Straight eight

Bill the avg mph should be reset each time you fuel up, and shows an average since it was last reset.