Kelsey first rim clips, 1919 Dodge Brothers

Guest motorheadjeff

Guest motorheadjeff

Hello,

Any one out ther have some first generation Kelsey rim clips? I have a 1919 Dodge and do not have any of the rim clips for my rear wheels. I have a collection of other clips but have been told none of them are correct. If you have some on you car, could I get a picture of what they look like? It would be nice to know what I am looking for.

Thanks, Jeff

post-67152-143138192091_thumb.jpg

Guest truckdog62563

I have a special interest in old car and truck wheels, but admit that yours are much older than I normally get involved with. So if what I have to say isn't helpful, I'll butt out. But if it helps, here's what I found.

My 1927 National Wheel and Rim Association catalog says that 1917/1918 Dodge Brothers cars, all models, used Kelsey rim #100, clamp #C-11, and bolt #B-111. But starting in 1918 it says that Dodge equipped its cars with a "special Stanweld rim that came to be known in the trade as the 'Dodge Bros. rim' (which was) standard equipment on Dodge models during 1918, 1919, and 1920". The Stanweld rim was replaced by a Jaxon No. X25 replacement rim. It was 32" x 3.5", used wedge #W-4 and bolt #B-21. I have no picture or specifics on the Stanweld rim, but can if it helps post pictures of the Jaxon rim and clamp. The bolt is described as being 7/16" x 20 tpi, 2 3/4" length measured from under the head. I also have a picture of the Kelsey C-11 clamp but do not, I regret, have pictures of the Kelsey 100 rim or bolt. Stu

I had your problem several years back. I had no idea what to look for. With some help from a fellow DB member, I was able to purchase some old worn clamps. I went to a casting shop and they made me a bunch of new clamps using lost wax process. They are perfect. I then turned up new lug bolts, nuts and keepers, had them zinc plated and then pressed the keepers with nuts in place together. On the weekend I can dig out some spare ones and take a picture to send to you.

Guest motorheadjeff

Thanks for all the help guys. The only thing that is stamped in this wheel is 32 x 3 on the outside steel cover of the wood rim. When you mention Jaxon as a replacement for the Stanwell, that made me think it could be. I do have several Jaxon rim clips that were on it. Tom Meyers identified the wheel as a first Kelsey so that is what I went with. As usual, who knows what year these wheels actually came off of. I am attaching some pictures of the clips I have and one of the wheel bolts to see if they give you any more clues. It looks like this bolt is a full 3 inches so it may not be the Jaxon.

Stu, if you could post some pictures of the Jaxon rim I could look it over and see if it is the one I have. If you can post a picture of the Kelsey C-11 clamp that would help. If it matches with what gboy and dodgehill come up with then we may have identified the clamp I need.

Thanks, Jeff

post-67152-143138192611_thumb.jpg

post-67152-143138192616_thumb.jpg

post-67152-143138192621_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorheadjeff (see edit history)

Guest motorheadjeff

Thanks for the pictures Dodgehil. Do you remember how much these cost you to have made? If you still have this out, could you get a picture looking from the bolts perspective? The one side shot is not clear on the orientation of the three? fingers that extend out of the clip. It looks like two go against the wheel and one it to wedge against the rim to keep the clip from turning.

Thanks, Jeff

Edited by motorheadjeff (see edit history)

Kinda of hijacking here, but it is on the same topic...

Can anyone shed some light on this replacement strategy (Jaxon as a replacement for the Stanweld ' Dodge Bros.' rim)? Why would someone replace a metal fellow rim with what I can tell from the photo a wooden fellow or partially wooden fellow Jaxon rim?

I am assuming that the Stanweld rim was all metal (mine are on my 1919 - but it uses the second Kelseys) - Is this a later wheel on my car than it is supposed to have?

Edited by 72caddy
spelling of course... (see edit history)

I made these clamps & bolts over a long time period, and the cost has been enormous. Well over $1000 AUS for 31 clamp/bolt sets which is enough to do one car. I had run out of other choices as I couldn't find enough usable bolts/clamps. Hope this rear view of the clamp helps. The rounded end goes against the fellow band (wheel), the squared end goes against the tire rim, and the lug goes between the fellow band and the rim, to prevent the clamp from rotating when you tighten the lug nut. Dodgehil

post-31925-143138195132_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest motorheadjeff

Thanks for the picture. I missed the second page and just noticed your reply. I have 1924 Kelsey wheels on the front of this car. That is what was on it when I got it, so you go with what you have. To make the back look similar to the front I am having a machine shop make a L shaped clip similar to the 1924. The leg will rest on the steel fellow and the front will have a radius to meet the rim. The radius should keep the clip from turning.

I did use the pictures to get the dimensions for the new one. I knew the bolt demension and could figure out the rest from there. There is not a place where I am that could do any casting so I had to find another route. The machine shop could make something close to these but the cost would be quite high. Since there are quite a few things on this car that are not original I decided to go the inexpensive route.

Thanks again for all the help, Jeff

• 1 year later...

I am quite late on this, but I discovered a source for lug nuts for my '24 DB roadster that has the large 24" wood wheels, takes a 32 x 4 tire, and uses the Kelsey C-37-S clamp.

These have the correct thread pattern. They take a 11/16" wrench instead of the original 5/8" and are about 1/16" shorter when drawn up.

They are unfinished steel and look really good.

If anyone needs some, I can put you in touch with a supplier here in Albuquerque.

They cost about 25c apiece.

• 8 years later...