Looking for a job in the automotive restoration field

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

I am senor going to McPherson College majoring in Automotive Restoration.

I will be graduating in May of 2010.

I would like to find a job working with Pre-World War II automobiles. I’m interested in wood working, electrical, mechanical and upholstery restoration.

I have résumés ready at your request. Please pm me for more information.

Thanks,

Austincar6

Guest austincar6

This is not the first time that someome has told me about how bad paint it. I am trying to stay away from it.

I would much rather do wood working, electrical, mechanical and upholstery. As for pay that will be between me and shop or museum that hires me.

Thanks for the interested and the tip;

Austincar6

Kansas

Ever been to North Carolina??

35 miles to the Atlantic.

I'd just like you to LOOK at my 30 Chrysler CJ 6.

It's 3:15 in the morning, the wife is out of town and I've been working on the

CJ.

Man, I wish I were rich, (to get you here) and your age again.

Wish they had that Craft out there when I was in school.

Good luck.

Bill H

Guest austincar6

I have not been to NC. I have hear it's some were I need to go and see sometime.

For the one that are inquiring about hiring me. I will be on my spring break March 27- April 5. I will try to answer any question as soon as I get back.

For anyone that would like to learn more about restoration. The school puts on a summer classes. The classes will last anywhere from 3 day to a week, depending on the classes.

Go to www.mcpherson.edu to find out more information.

Keep them old car going,

Austincar6

Edited by austincar6 (see edit history)

Are you willing to relocate? Several restoration shops in the Shenandoah valley. Billy Thompson at White Post, VA used to only do cars 1948 or older but does newer stuff now. WW Restorations at Broadway, VA does high class restorations on lots of cars from the '30's and '40's. Most of these would involve woodwork. There is also one or two restoration shops in the Martinsburg, WV area. Congratulations on completing your education. I tried to get a young local friend to consider McPherson. He seemed interested but I think his grandma (adopted mother) wanted him to stay nearby.

Seriously, good auto upholsterers are always in short supply. I don't know why, as the work is not as hard as mechanical or body work. But for some reason everyone thinks it's a lot tougher than it is.

It is harder than household upholstery. That is why most upholsterers will not touch cars or boats. But to someone who wants to get into repairing old cars I would strongly recommend upholstery work.

Seriously, good auto upholsterers are always in short supply. I don't know why, as the work is not as hard as mechanical or body work. But for some reason everyone thinks it's a lot tougher than it is.

It is harder than household upholstery. That is why most upholsterers will not touch cars or boats. But to someone who wants to get into repairing old cars I would strongly recommend upholstery work.

Agreed. Hard to find.

I found a local guy here whose family kicked him out of the family business because he cared too much about quality and not enough about profit. Now there's a guy I'll take my car to! :)

He's made a few unique cheap fixes for me as well.

Also found another top shop who refused to guarantee a convertible top wouldn't leak. He said the chances are it WILL leak. If you're lucky it won't, but don't count on it.

After installing Steele replacement rubber, I can vouch for that. I should have left the old stuff in...it was much better made and fit better.

I have some old friends back here that grew up in an upholstery shop. All are old car people and are very good at it. Most of the brothers will do their own cars but hate to do it, so they rarely work for others. Dandy Dave!

Guest Dr. Strangelove
I am senor going to McPherson College majoring in Automotive Restoration.

I will be graduating in May of 2010.

I would like to find a job working with Pre-World War II automobiles. I’m interested in wood working, electrical, mechanical and upholstery restoration.

I have résumés ready at your request. Please pm me for more information.

Thanks,

Austincar6

I applaud you in your goal to work on classic cars and your choice of schools to gain your education, I know you will succeed and prosper. Here in Western North Carolina, we used to have a fine auto restoration program at Blue Ridge Community College in Hendersonville until their board decided to cease the program with next falls class. For many years, the program's director and skilled instructors put out some well-trained graduates that were properly equiped for the classic car restoration trades. Sadly, the current administration and board has lost touch with the mandate of the state regarding the misson of community colleges, that is to prepare students for the trades. We can't all be involved in law enforcement or become medical technicians but thats apparently what they think. Good luck and best wishes - you just became a little rarer and more valuable by their head-up-their-a## decision while western North Carolina loses both a unique community asset and a great educational opportunity....

Edited by Dr. Strangelove (see edit history)

Guest austincar6

I am back from a wonderful spring brake in CA.

I am sorry to hear that Blue Ridge Community College has lost touch with their program. Hopefully they can change it for the better.

Edited by austincar6 (see edit history)

Guest so1971

I have a real nack for old stuff all of a sudden. Where is your college located. Thanks. Shane

I have not been to NC. I have hear it's some were I need to go and see sometime.

For the one that are inquiring about hiring me. I will be on my spring break March 27- April 5. I will try to answer any question as soon as I get back.

For anyone that would like to learn more about restoration. The school puts on a summer classes. The classes will last anywhere from 3 day to a week, depending on the classes.

Go to www.mcpherson.edu to find out more information.

Keep them old car going,

Austincar6