1930 model 57 questions

johnworden1

I have a 1930 model 57 chassis. Were wire wheels offered from Buick for it? What make were they? I assume wood spoke wheels would have been standard. By looking at the rear brake drums and hubs how can I tell what type of wheel it was equipped with wire or wood spoke? Are there interchangebale parts to mount wires if my hubs won't accept them? Is there a Buick roadster body that will fit this chassis? My goal is to build a special of some kind on this chassis. Thanks much. John

John,

I am far from expert, but I am quite sure that the conversion to wire wheels will require hubs that came with them, and that is likely a rather rare chance. As to the installation of a roadster body, it appears that only the sedan (57) and 4 passanger coupe (68), where the only two models of the 50 series.

I am sure you will hear from others with better information. Should be an interesting challenge to make something else fit.

John

John,

I think jscheib intended to say "it appears that only the sedan (57) and 4 passenger coupe (58), were the only two models of the 50 series." The model 68 is a 60 series car on the longer wheelbase and is not compatible with your chassis. Locating a good model 58 coupe body will be a tall order to fill, but I have seen sedan bodies/project cars come up for sale on occasion. Only another 50 series car is going to work on your frame.

The 1930 Buick 50 series came standard with wood wheels, however wire wheels were available. It is my understanding that the conversion from wood to wire wheels entails the replacement of a number of parts other than just the hubs and may not be practical in most cases without a good parts car. Can you post pictures of what you currently have so we can attempt to identify it for you? My car (a 1930 model 68) has wire wheels, so I should be able to confirm that or not for you.

Thanks,

MIchael & John,

I apoligize - yes that was a typo as I meant 58 was the only other body then the 57. I guess with some interesting changes (read - alot of hard work and calculations) an other series body could be made to fit if one was really creative. Might as well do a custom body like a speedster, if you have a cowl.

John

Right rear wheel on 1930 model 57 Will a wire wheel bolt on?

Yes, that's a wire wheel hub.

The wooden artillery wheels have the brake drum bolted ( permanently ) to them and the drum comes off with the wheel.

As far as bodies that may fit go your best bet would be looking for something from the 1929 Series 121 range at 121" wheelbase. The range in that year included Sport Roadsters and coupes with similar sheet-metal which could be easily converted to an open car.

A lot of work and a challenge for us mere mortals but easily done by a person with your skills.

I think there have been remains of 1929 Series 121 coupe previously posted on this site, maybe Thriller can remember.

Good luck, what you have could make a nice project.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I think there have been remains of 1929 Series 121 coupe previously posted on this site, maybe Thriller can remember.

You are a funny man...I'll have trouble remembering posting this in about five minutes :rolleyes::eek: I wouldn't say I have dementia (although The Boss may say differently), but I definitely do not seem to be able to concentrate much.

That being said, I don't recall one being available...take that for what it is worth ;)

Thank you all for the information. One last request. I don't have a front axle. With so many wheelbases and models offered from buick can anyone advise as to which axle/axles will fit this chassis? Would it be too much to ask for a photo of what I should look for if I see some separated from it's chassis? Thanks again. John

John,

Regarding the front axle and what would fit, I would think it better to have one from that year and series size. I think one aspect would be is what of the steering you might have in your posession, as I am sure linkages would be need to be matching, or some tricky fabrication. I think I could dig up some photos of a '32 front axle, but I am betting they would be different.

John

Thank you all for the information. One last request. I don't have a front axle. With so many wheelbases and models offered from buick can anyone advise as to which axle/axles will fit this chassis? Would it be too much to ask for a photo of what I should look for if I see some separated from it's chassis? Thanks again. John

John,

I think you will find the only front axle which will fit will be from a 1930 Series 50 or 60.

The 1930 Series 40 axle looks the same but is smaller in many dimensions.

I'm not certain but I think front axle/brakes/suspension changed on the 1931 models with the introduction of the straight eight motor so you are probably restricted to the larger 1930 models.

Have attached dimensional drawings and a comparison chart to show the size differences, which are comprehensive.

post-31244-143138189716_thumb.jpg

post-31244-14313818972_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138189725_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138189731_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart,

Is that from the 1930 Specifications Book?

Dwight

P.S. It's still Wed. here. What is the future like?

Dwight,

Yes, from the 1930 Models Specifications and Adjustments book. Noticed the scans aren't brilliant so anyone who wants a nice copy can purchase it from the Buick Heritage Alliance site

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/browse.php?s=yr&y=1930

John - I would recommend this book for you - has some comparisons with the 1929/1930 models and all mechanical comparisons for the 1930 models, really helpful with the project you are looking at.

And Dwight - the future is looking good, here at least. We had our first rain since last November and the temperature has dropped to the low 30C's. An overnight Buick Club run to the country this weekend so the roadster will have the top down, could it get better??

John,

Here are a couple of shots of the running gear at the front end of my 1930 Model 68. This is exactly what you will be needing on your car. Unfortunately mine does not convey the entire front axle as it is obviously still attached to the car, but hopefully it will be of some assistance.

Thanks,

post-63406-143138190163_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143138190167_thumb.jpg