1951 buick question

Guest Mooky

Guest Mooky

Hello,

I recently bought a 1951 Buick special 2 door with a straight eight...I;m not sure how to tell what series these Buick's are 40-60-ect. So here I am...now a friend of mine just recently went with me to look the car over and got excited, telling me that there were only a few thousand car's like mine made....I'm no car dummy have a few of my own, so don't get the "Holy stink that's ultra rare" bug...usually I'm an Oldsmobile man but this Buick runs, is in great shape, and the price was right....I have the title and vin #'s are on the car...i will post pic's and will post numbers through pm just am looking to find out how many were made and what model it is so I can get the right parts. thanks in advance for all your time and reply.

Special is 40 series - every Special is forty-something for a model number. 41 is typically a 4 door sedan, for example

A 2 door '51 Special would either be 46S - 2 door sport coupe (2700 produced), 48D is a Special Deluxe 2 door sedan (54311 made), or 45R which is a 2 door Deluxe hardtop coupe (16491 made). 46C would be the convertible, which I presume yours is not.

On the firewall data plate, there will be a model / style number, which will translate as follows:

46S - 51-4327

48D - 51-4311D

45R - 51-4337

If your friend got excited about it being rare, I'd suspect it is the 46S. There were lower production cars, but when you factor in the fact that it is almost 60 years old, there really wouldn't be many left.

The 8 is a 263.3 cid producing 120 hp. By '51, most of the cars would be equipped with the Dynaflow automatic transmission, which uses fluid coupling, so you don't feel shifts like you do with a "normal" auto transmission. These Buick 8s are very smooth and produce a fair amount of torque.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Buick. I'm looking forward to the photos.

Guest Mooky

well the 51 Buick will be home tomorrow finally....will post pic's when i get her in the driveway...the firewall tag reads as so:

MOD 51 48 D

trim. 41 K

Body No. G16684

Paint No. 19 AB

So its not an S model but still a very nice 51 2door Special

and also, I know this probably isn't the place for this, but the sir i bought the car from has a very nice 1953 Buick 2 door sedan with the straight eight and 3 speed manual in very nice shape..it only needs minor interior work and some paint work..the chrome is in great shape...the front bumperettes are the only thing with any surface rust on them....he is asking 1500 for it and it runs good..needs brake work as they are squishy from sitting around for 2 years, but they are not completely gone or locked. If any one is interested in it I will take pick's of it tomorrow when I pick up the 51..thanks again

Guest Mooky

Im in central Michigan...Farwell to be exact.....And to who ever it was from texas that was interested in the 53 from the same barn as my 51, i will take pic's in about 2 hours when the flatbed arrives to take me to get my 51...it is less than a mile from my house and with a few hours worth of work it will be a driver.

Hi Mooky, Congratulations on the '51 - many years of enjoyment ahead! I sent you a PM about the '53, perfect birthday present for my dad (and something for us to work on together). If it's not spoken for, please give me a call.

Best, Chris in Wisconsin

cell 608-692-9597

Thanks Stevo! It would surprise the heck out of him if I showed up with a '53 for us to work on together. He's kind of between projects, too. He's finished the plane he'd been building for the last 7 years, and he and I have been kicking around what to do next. Still hoping to hear from Mooky - left my phone # in the private message.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mooky

well i have tried to post pictures several time since i bought this comp a few days ago and to no avail. does nothing when i click on attachment manager...I will call you later tonight Chris, but as far as pictures go I dont know if i can help.thanks