About adding Turn Signals to old cars

Guest bofusmosby

It is very easy to instal turn signals using the original wireing. You will only need to add one additional wire for the rear lights.

Instal a handy dandy turn signal switch to your steering column (available at JC Whitney) and cut the brake light wire going to the back and connect it to the brake light wire on the new switch. Then cut the brake light wire in the rear, that goes from one brake light to the other.

Connect that wire to the new wire and send it to the new signal light switch as a signal light wire.

Connect the front end of other brake light wire to the new switch as the other signal light.

(The brake light and signal lights are the same bulb, and use the same wires from the front of the car.)

Continue with the instructions on the box and you have a system with very little modification to the original wireing.

On my 31 Essex, I just changed the front parking light sockets to a two filiment socket and ran two new wires to them for the front signal lights.

• 4 years later...
Guest Tusler 49 New Yorker

Here you go, I was looking for something to increase my visibility when turning but I did not want to do a big installation. These are battery operated, rechargeable and completely wireless with a digital signature so nothing will interfere with operation.

Easily removable and requires no changes to the car.

http://smartsignals.com/cms/

• 7 months later...

I thought the smart signals were great, too, but they have apparently been unavailable for a year now.

I received no answers to numerous phone messages left on voicemail, or email, requesting information on when they may be available.

I am now going to use 12 volt LEDs which will be run by a small, rechargeable SLA 12 volt battery, keeping it separate from my 6 volt system.

Guest Al Brass

I have seen wireless units for sale on e-Bay. I cannot recall if they work on 6V and I have no idea if they are any good but it might be worth a search. The idea is good for old car use.

Al

There are 6 volt LED lights available, but in limited selection. No 6 volt amber LED bulbs, for example, but there are amber colored bulb sleeves you can use.

You can also use a small, SLA 12 volt battery to run 12 volt LED running lights and turn signals on a separate, stand alone system. An advantage of this

is you can use a 6 volt bulb which is white to use as a running light, but when the turn signal switch is activated it turns color to amber and blinks.

Brake lights are more problematic. There are red and white 6 volt, dual filament LEDs. Adding a 12 volt LED brake light to the 6 volt system is more complicated.

Some 12 volt LEDs will work in 6 volt bases, but will not be as bright. Others won't work at all. Many LED bulbs are also polarized so will not work

if put in backwards, but incandescent bulbs work either way.

This place has 6 volt (+ or - ground) (single or dual circuit) amber yellow volt LED's that I have used as turn signals. Just like the 12 volt, they are clear and turn amber yellow when you turn them on. Very bright:

http://www.ledlight.com/24-led-light-s25-6-volt-dc-positive-or-negative-chassis-non-polarity-sensitve.aspx

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)