1923 Dynostart

Guest Australian 1923

Guest Australian 1923

HELP 1923 Australian Buick Tourer. My Dynostart does not work dispite $700 spent with two so called experts. With ignition on it rotates slowly as it should. When I kick the pedal down the cogs engage perfectly but no power to the starter. When I switch off the ignition the pedal is still engaged. I have to cut battery power to disengage with a large clunk. Can anyone help or put me in touch with someone who really knows how to sort it out. I live in the UK and if nesessary I will fly with it to the US as I am desperate to sort it out as I am commited to driving two weddings this month. PLEASE HELP

David, take the rear cover off the starter/generator. Then disconnect the battery. Have someone push on the starter rod, and then you observe what is happening while looking at the linkages to the starter/generator and then inside the generator itself. The linkages, which are held in place by friction via pinch bolts and keys for alignment. These can sometime slip and cause the mechanical arm in the starter not to lift correctly. So it is best to observe everything and make sure everything is tight and in correct adjustment.

I have a problem like you describe and it was the linkage that connected the starter rod to the cross rod that goes to the starter/generator. It was slipping and would not push up the third brush high enough for the starter to engage. Sometimes, even when adjusted correctly, you have to really push down very hard on the starter pedal to get things to work.

Good luck.

Also, if you are satisfied that the linkages are correct, make sure you check that all the electrical connections are correct (at the right post) and tight.

I am commited to driving two weddings this month. PLEASE HELP

Join the local Gym, get that right arm built up and break out the crank handle.

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with these early starter/generator combinations so can't solve your problem but, if you have got a crank handle the weddings won't be a problem!!!

What's the health cover like in the UK?

Hope someone can come up with the right answer, good luck.

David....when you push the pedal you say no power to the starter, it sticks to the floor until you break the battery connection. Sounds like you are getting power but the starter motor is not turning the engine. is it the engine stuck.?. My 21 buick had bad timing gears and the stater motor would turn the engine over until I hit the bad spot. then it would try and not disengage until the battery cable was pulled.

First thing make sure your engine turns freely.

Guest Australian 1923

Thanks for the advice. I am sixty four and ain't going to a gym with all those young hunks laughing at the old fart.

The engine is fully rebuilt and yes it is tight but I can still just turn it over (just) but not enough to start it

Maybe I should tow start it and let her run for a while so the engine can bed in and loosen up

I am open to any sensible advice

Regards

David

Has the motor run at all since the rebuild?

If not that may be the problem, just general tightness overcoming the starter.

If you can't start it on the crank it is a big ask on the starter. Is this the starter we are talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BUICK-1924-1926-6-CYL-GENERATOR-AND-DISTRIBUTOR_W0QQitemZ220569448179QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item335af6aef3

David,

I agree that you should tow start it and run-in the engine to make shure everything is well lubricated if nothing else. You might also temporarily try a 12 volt battery to verify weather it is just a torque problem. Isolate the starter circuit first to avoid blowing bulbs etc....

My 2 cents...

If the engine can be turned by hand and you are motoring on the generator and need to pull the power to disengage with a clunch then it is possible a linkage problem....the reason you maybe staying engaged is the relative weak but engaged gen motor is trying to start the engine it would not disengage mechanically from the ring gear because the motoring action is holding it bound...two people to see what is going on. You may not be lifting the gen brush and dropping the starter brush on pedal engagement. Keep us posted

Have you checked the spring that pulls the starter engagement back when you let your foot off of the starter? This has nothing to do with with th epower connection. The rod that pushes in and lifts the generator brush is adjustable. You should be able to watch the engagement and working of the system and make any adjustments. It still would help if you posted a picture of the area.

Guest Roger_Roy

how'd you go? I have an unmolested '24 starter here off the engine and could photograph the busy area in case its an adjustment issue.

Roger

Guest WEB 38

I Have a 1920 6 cly touring that the starter seems to hang up and not engage a light tap with a rubber mallet seems to do the trick for me, must be a brush hanging up. Bill WEB 38