Sunroof for 89 Reatta

Guest jiramos

Guest jiramos

I need a sunroof for an 89 Reatta ( do not need the assembly just the cover). The sunroof for a 89 Madza RX 7 will fit. Let me know if you know where I can find one. My sunroof is rusting and to weld a steel skin they want 1500

Guest steveskyhawk

I have sunroofs pulled from California cars that are corrosion free. Panels are from both Mazda RX7s and Reattas . Send me a PM if interested

On a related note, any possibility of a reproduction fiberglass panel (or even plastic) being made? I seem to remember someone here a while ago discussing this. I don't know if he would have any interest or the facilities to do so, but perhaps Kingsley could be persuaded to put one together. I only say this since he has already done some very nice repro parts for the Reatta. He can do (or has access to someone who does) injection molding since he is already doing the convertible visor clips. Just a thought.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

Kevin - always looking for projects and, as is always the situation, I would like expressions from anyone as to their feeling for the extent of the market for this panel would be . From my experience with my first Reatta, I feel there seems to be a tendency to rust to some degree. I am positive that I can come up with a very good replication of the panel in a appropriate plastic if there is the demand for it. Determining market potential is the first step. I wonder if there is info available as to the number of Reattas that were sold with this option.

I am aware of the similarity of this sunroof with that of the RX 7 with the only slight area of lack of complete match would appear to be in the roof camber. I feel certain that the plastic can be adequately strong with enough flexibility to conform if camber is the only problem.

I will be checking this out from the Mazda side also.

Any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated.

Kingsley,

Good to know you might consider this. I don't know the number made with sunroofs. Perhaps Barney has some data on this and will chime in.

As for the size of the market for a new panel, I haven't even a good guess. There is, as you have observed, a bad tendency for the OEM panel to rust out. I know in my time on this forum I have seen quite a number of posts on this very problem.

The problem I see is cost vs. demand. Many would probably try to scrounge a used panel (even from the Mazda unit) as it would likely be cheaper than a good repro part. Since there is cost in tooling and molding plus the material and production cost for a new plastic part, all of which needs to be recouped, I am not sure how many takers there would be. Add to that the relatively limited number of Reattas that seem to have the sunroof, and it is probably a very limited number of sales. Enough to be profitable? No idea, honestly.

If I ever manage to buy a 2nd Reatta, I'd really like one with a sun roof. I worry though about the rust-out issue, as well as the mechanism failing which has also the subject of much discussion on this forum from time to time.

Hopefully some solid data can be culled to determine the worthiness of reproducing the panel.

KDirk

using information from the database, there were roughly 12-15% of the coupes produced with sunroofs. That does not include 1988 for two reasons, sunroof availabity in 1988 did not start until around vin 902500 (more than half way through the 4708 made) and there were more aftermarket sunroofs installed in 1988 because of the lack of factory availabity.

This was discovered when some early vins showed up with sunroofs and after talking to the owners, they had glass panels, which would indicate a non-factory unit.

There were a total of 14,606 coupes made in 1989-1991. Using the 15% number that would be 2,190 sunroof cars. It would be hard to justify tooling a steel part knowing that is the maximum that would be needed (you know some of these are pristine cars and will never rust) Fiberglass would be the better solution IF the thickness is not a problem.

Forunately my 88 was built late enough to have a roof vent, I consider it essential in a hot climate but keep in mind that rust only affects a portion of the population - those driven in salt states or parked on the beach and not garaged so when you talk about "the need", that must be taken into account also.

Guest steveskyhawk

I have looked at many sunroof cars both Reatta and RX7. I have removed more than 20 sunroofs. Some turned out to be junk and were disected for "educational purposes". Naturally I don't touch a rusty one and I wont touch one that wont work properly on battery power alone. The outer panel rust is not a road salt issue or a sea salt issue in my opinion. The rust begins between the outer panel and the reinforcement in the panel at the corners. It is my belief that this rust occurs because of being exposed to a climate that has high humidity and large temperature swings daily which causes condensation.

It has been my experience that most people have difficulty with the drive mechanism and corrosion in that system. I have had many requests for complete systems and many more for just the track/drive system. I believe that good bodyman are repairing all but the most rusty outer panels thus very little demand for new or used ones. Additionally if a replacement panel weren't made of steel it wouldn't look quite right.

I bought a car with a sunroof so that I might understand them better. I have many parts and have learned quite a few secrets on how to make them work properly. Contact me directly if your sunroof acts up.

One element that I studied deeply about thutty yar ago was "night sky radiation". Short form is that on a clear night the sky approximates a black body and radiation effects can lower the skin temperature of an exposed surface by 5-10F (why dew and frost forms on top surfaces and not sides and not at all in a carport).

This tempeature differential in a saturated atmosphere (dew point or below) causes condensation. ANYTHING that blocks "night sky radiation" will drasically reduce condensate (dew) formation. Also the bottom surface of a reduced temperature panel will be just as likely to experience condensation as the upper (why you get wet glass on the inside if some windows are left down).

Humidity is an essential element but only one element, that temperature differential is just as important. Remove any one of the elements and the cycle breaks down. Garaging cars is good.

Guest spyhunter2k

I brought up making a fiberglass version of the steel panel months ago, and was reminded that I still need to finish my custom body mods, which are still not done.

The panel would be simple to mold and produce, unless the underside has some complexities that I don't know about. The panel can be made as thick as is needed.

The drawbacks are that fiberglass tends to shrink over time, but you can use better quality resin to avoid this that is more stable over time. If anyone has a spare panel they will volunteer, I'd be happy to mold it and report the results. If I would have thought about it, I would have molded my panel before I painted my car. I bought a new assembly from Jim, but it was the assembly only--the panel had rusted.

If no one has one, I could see if Steve has a Reatta panel he will sell me, but I'd need to know that several people would be interested in the reproductions. If anyone does want to volunteer one, I would be happy to return it after molding. Just realize that before molding it, I must prepare the surface by sanding/filling imperfections and painting it with lacquer. The heat of multiple layers will melt most types of paint. I would return it in this white-painted state.