1990 Reatta -- Problem with ????

Guest mikeyfartsen

Guest mikeyfartsen

When driving, if I turn the wheel slightly to the right, I get a humming sound. As soon as I turn to the left (even a slight turn of the steering wheel) the noise goes away. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Norm

Guest mikeyfartsen

SSOOO, makes noise when you turn righ, it is the left bearing?? It's always the opposite, I quess. I'm sure a bearing for a Reatta wouldn't be the $10.00 type. More like a $100.???

I will double check the fluid first.

Thanks for everyones input.

Norm

Guest jcc3inc

Regarding noises,

If you are stopped and turn the wheel left or right, then likely the power steering pump needs fluid or some related pump problem. If the whine happens as you are moving, then it is probably not the PS pump.

Regards,

Jack C.

SSOOO, makes noise when you turn righ, it is the left bearing?? It's always the opposite, I quess. I'm sure a bearing for a Reatta wouldn't be the $10.00 type. More like a $100.???

I will double check the fluid first.

Thanks for everyones input.

Norm

I think you will have to buy a "hub assembly".

AUTOZONE

Timken / Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front For your 1990 Buick Reatta 3.8L FI OHV 6cyl

<input id="enlargedImage" value="http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/tim/513059/image" type="hidden"> 6

Price:

$90.99

<!-- End --> AVAILABILITY:

<input value="true" onclick="radioSelected('list')" name="/atg/commerce/order/purchase/CartModifierFormHandler.sendToStore" type="radio"><input value=" " name="_D:/atg/commerce/order/purchase/CartModifierFormHandler.sendToStore" type="hidden">

STORE PICK UP

IN STOCK

Normally stocked at your local store.

Guest re-reatta

Is there still an inner and an outer wheel bearing?? If so, a noise during a right turn could be either a left inner or a right outer bearing. These are the bearings that are under load at the time. If the noise is from the right, check the right outer. If from the left, check the left inner. If there is no longer inner and outer wheel bearings, well, nevermind.

Guest mikeyfartsen

The noise occurs when I'm driving. I'm sure it is the bearing. Thanks for the info on the part. I was right, not a $10. item, but a $100. item.

Its going to have to wait. I hope it is safe to drive. I need to fix the small brake fluid leak. If anyone has the info on how to remove the brake reservior

please let me know. I also developed an oil leak. Before winter, the car didn't leak a drop. I only have driven the car a few miles in the past two months. Oh well.

Thanks to all.

Norm

• 2 months later...
Guest JohnW
If it is not there going staright ahead, it is the one on the outside of the turn. If it is, it cound be either.

My 90 makes noise going staight...goes away turning slightly to the left and no change turning right. I'm gonna replace both in the next couple of weeks.

About what ? Is pretty straighforward. Unless damaged I would not repalce the rear seal. Old one pushes out back and have to cut off axle, new one goes in front if you do.

Personally prefer Timken (AZ) to Dorman.