62 Olds Overheating

Guest Kiwiolds

Guest Kiwiolds

62 Dynamic 88, with 394 low compresion engine.temp guage(Electric)shows 220-225 f when in parade or after idling for 15 min. Is this to hot. considering that. I have changed the thermostat to a lower one, 160 f. should be 180), Radiator has been cleaned and checked, only a three core Harrison, Radiator hoses are new and not calapsed, I have had a fan shroud put on engine. Fan is original four blade. I have had water pump out and al the vanes look good( have new pump on its way to replace). Timing was set correct, but will check again. Can anyone tell me how hot these engines should run, how hot they can get, and possible reasons or remidies that have worked. I am of the thinking that New Zealand only gets to 30 C in sumer and America has plently of hotter areas that would have had these cars. I can put electric fans, 4 core radiators on but that is not how they came out. This car did not even come out with the fan shroud. Can anyone help. Scottmad.gif

Guest Kiwiolds

Thanks for that Paul. As I have only just bought car 8 months ago, I have not had it long and as it was our winter it was a lot colder. As the car only had the dash warning lights, Which did not work, I had no way on knowing how hot it was. The car runs at 155-160 when on open road, so radiator is big enough and flow through motor is ok at revs. Only thing is with water pump is it is more efficient at revs. I will try the timing test and see. How hot does your car get intraffic or at Idle. I have not noticed this problem coming on fast, but as our sumer approached we used the car in parades and street runs more. Someone has suggested ( Camaro) that I put some dishwasher detergent in water ( No Suds,) to clean any possible grease. Thanks for the help.

62 Dynamic 88, with 394 low compresion engine.temp guage(Electric)shows 220-225 f when in parade or after idling for 15 min. Is this too hot.

Scott,

As soon as I started reading this, I said to myslelf, "This sure sounds familiar?"

Glad to see you here! A good idea to broaden your reach, in terms of help.

If you browse this area of the board you shall see that I posted a query for you about the dual exhaust routing.

Welcome and hope you get some good answers!

Guest Kiwiolds

Hi Dave, thank you for your post, I am not convinced that I have/Or have not a problem. Some people say that these older cars do get hot, and overheat, at idle. But I still think that we are not that hot here, 30 deg C in the sumer and you would have parts of USA that would get a lot hotter. I will try the new pump, and the timing. Great to have some help from you guys. As for the question about Air Con. No it does not have any and has a fixed four blade original fan. Can anyone tell me what make the original Radiator was on these cars and how many cores they had. Mine is a Harrison 3 core. Thanks Scott

When new, I don't think these cars had cooling problems.

I have to agree with Paul. I never cease to be amazed by the cars that boil over at cruise nights and rod runs. Be sure the block and radiator are clean of any sediment or sludge. Be sure all the cooling fins in the radiator are straight and not blocked with leaves, bugs, and other debris. Finally, do you know your temp gauge is accurate? Just because it's new and electric doesn't mean it's accurate.

One other thing. Is your vacuum advance connected to manifold or ported vacuum? Ported vac does not provide advance at closed throttle (such as idling) and can lead to higher temps. Use full manifold vacuum. Have you verified that the vac advance unit is working?

I had a problem with my 61. Believe it or not, it turned out to be fouled spark plugs. The car ran fine but I was in a parade and had the problem. Take a look at them and make sure that they are not gummed up. Be sure to check all of them as there were only 2 of 8 that were bad if I remember correctly. My car had A/C but I was not using it.

Guest Kiwiolds

Well I have fixed the problem !!. It was in fact the water pump. Even though it appeared to be OK, only minor wear on outside edges, it was not pumping enough water when car was idling. I had ordered a new pump which I was going to leave as a spare, due to the old looking good. But tried it to see. It pumps a lot more coolant at idle. The tolerances in the housing must be tight between a good pump working efficently and one that has just lost its edge. I am pleased to have sorted out the problem as it did not sit right with me that the temp should get so high. Especially as these cars would have been sold to areas that get a lot hotter than "Little old New Zealand",. Thank you all for your help. Regards Scott:)

Well I have fixed the problem !!. It was in fact the water pump.

Scott,

Good to hear! I am sure you are relieved to have this behind you. I guess I have never heard of a water pump "not pumping enough water?" I would think either they work, or they don't; nothing in between. I would especially think this to be so where there is no loss of coolant.