Tool tip - screw on hub caps

Thriller

Howdy all. I was needing to remove a hub cap from my '29 to check the size so that I could verify with a fellow who will make a wheel puller. I never thought of trying by hand, assuming that they were going to be a bit stuck on. I bought a pipe wrench, since mine is at the country place...too small. Went back to the store and looked around and wound up buying a set of Channellock oil filter / PVC pipe pliers. They have three sizes and I got the one in the middle - 212 - 12 inch Oil Filter Plier @ Channellock

I put it on and I had the hub cap off in moments. In case the threads dry out and you do need to use a tool, this is smaller and lighter to carry around than a pipe wrench.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Good tip Derek. I use a strap wrench. It has a plastic handle and a rubber strap that is adjustable to any size.

Also note that when you finally put the finished hub cap back on, use a couple dabs of RTV or silicone calk to keep them firmly attached. It will prevent "premature removal" by others and they won't come loose on rough roads....

Guest soldier

There is an originally supplied hub cap wrench that I was lucky enough to find under the seat of my 31 club coupe, It really works slick. I imange they are hard to find, but it might be worth a try. Soldier

To not harm the finish, weather Brass, Nickled, or Alumimum, I have used an oil filter Wrench with a piece of leather belt between that and the hub cap. Oil filter wrenches come in a variity of sizes, and many are adjustable. To borrow a Bon-Ami Slogan, "Hasn't scrached yet." Dandy Dave!

Thanks Larry, but the '29 no longer has the flat sides - it is completely round. I know '26 still has that style of cap, so it changed in '27-'29. I like the idea of the strap type oil filter wrenches - never thought of that. Of course, since these pliers are for oil filters as well, a strip of rubber or leather to protect them would give me some piece of mind.