89 cassette player repair

Guest Falconman

Guest Falconman

I'm wanting to get tape player repaired, don't want to tackle it myself. I have MNR in Michagan and Precision Delco repair in Texas. Has anyone used either and were you happy with price and service? Thanks

Guest steveskyhawk

M & R has worked well for me.

If you have an 89 why not just tap into the audio out of the tape deck and use an mp3 player? Works great. No amp needed and if you have an iPhone it doubles as a hands free system.

Steveskyhawk, How can you "tap into the audio out"? Doesn't the tape player have to be running, in order for the radio to stay in the tape player mode (and accept a signal from the audio out)?

I'm still unclear on all this, as I too would be interested in completely abandoning the tape player.

Also, Falconman, be warned that it may not just be the rubber belt that needs replacement; I have disassembled a few tape decks, and have found that a white plastic piece commonly breaks where a pin goes through it. It does not look easy to repair. I posted pictures of it in the past.

Guest steveskyhawk

1) pull tape deck

2) unplug audio plug (color codes in FSM)

3) attach stereo phone chord

4) reinstall tape deck. do not reconnect audio plug

5) plug stereo phone chord to ipod and turn it on

6) turn on car radio and select tape. There must be a tape in the drive. gutted casette works best.

enjoy. Not too high tech but works suprisingly well.

I just found the old post here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/88-89-aux-input-replacement-cassette-274159.html

Some people say you still need deck plugged in, some people say the deck still needs to turn a cassette (or gutted cassette), and some people say you can completely unplug the deck.....:confused:

I guess I just need to investigate for myself....I was hoping to be lazy :P

I recall when I had the tape deck completely unplugged, pushing PLAY on the CRT did absolutely nothing; the screen didn't change to the tape player mode, or anything. That is where all my past questions came up, regarding whether the deck needed to be plugged in, working, etc.

Guest steveskyhawk

The tape player needs to be plugged in. The audio out plug does not. This plug then becomes your mp3 player's audio in. The tape deck signals the radio module to accept this audio when tape is selected at the CRT. I have done the same type mod to one of my 91s that doesn't have a CD. I had to install a switch to fake the radio into taking audio from the new aux input. Here in California you need a hands free phone (by law) so my 91 and 89 with the aux inputs are my cars of choice when i plan to use the phone while driving. Now all i need is someplace to go. Normally i drive my 217 thousand mile Chevy pick up, my wife's Tundra or fly my Cessna 172. Thus the "Skyhawk" in my screen name.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I have also read the the tape deck only had to be plugged in when a new battery was installed or power to the BCM restored. That was so that when the computer polled the bus, it would pick up what optional equipment was installed like the tape player, compass module, CD player etc. and load the proper options so they would display and allow operation.

This information seems to relate that unless the deck sends a cassette installed signal back to the BCM, the system won't turn on the aux input, so it won't work.

Wonder if this discrepance may be due to differences in the various radio modules that can be installed or due to a differnet BCM program from early 88 to late 89?

I know there was a seperate aux input for the built in cell phone option, and it was set to overide the radio and or tape input when the phone was in use. Problem with that one is that I thought it was only a mono input which was supplied to both channels. If that were a stereo input that would be the one to use, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Guest Falconman

Thank you Rawja; I was leaning toward them. Called and guy said they 'reman' the whole unit. Appreciate all the other feed back but don't drive the car a great deal, just like for everything to work as intended. Just for info, I used Rex Service Co. in Chicago few years ago to repair 89 CRT and have been totally satisfied.