engine paint

Guest 1930

I am curious why no one has answered this yet but the Standard-6 used the very same(except for letter designation) engine as the Victory-6 and I believe that was a pale grey looking color. Perhaps this was a later variation of the

'Ditzler Motor Grey' used on the fours? Hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Just found this and did not have this information until now, that explains why I have seen grey paint on original DA engines, if they used it on Victory than I am sure it was used on DA

Jason, my DA had hints of light gray paint in corners. Pretty close to machinary gray or battle ship gray

Fantastic, I thought I brought this up a while ago and everyone called me crazy, I like the gray. Looks like the same color on phil 32

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello,

We just got done rebuilting a 1930 DD engine and behind the bellhouseing there was an over spray of lite green like the DB 4 cylinder green. In the old days if a engine was rebuilt/repaired or dress up for the use car lot gray was standard color.

I also have a 28 std.6 when we rebuilt that engine behind the bellhouseing there was a hint of a dark green almost like the Model A green.

I know engine colors are a mystery on these cars until 1933 when Chysler went to silver on all Flat head 6 BUT the 1942 chy. was painted ind. red.

vern.

I have seen gray on a few different engines and they were not rebuilt ( slap worn out ) and it was not overspray. I have also seen the green, I think that it depended on time motor was put together. I forget just how long these motors sat in storage until they were actually put in a new D.B car.

I cant speak for phils 32 because I know nothing about it but I am convinced that DAs used either the gray or green. Seems Green is more prevelent these days though when people restore their cars but that may be just because the last guy did it that way and the guy before him so everyone thinks that it has to be correct.

Hmmm, when I rebuilt my engine in the 70's the oldtimers said that the engine color was a light gray, so I painted it that way. This time in rebuilding I found DA engine paint for sale by Romar. It is a light gray with sort of a "spruce green" cast to it. I've seen the same color on a couple of restored DAs for sale; is it correct?

Bob, here is that green, it is faded a little because of heat from the motor over the years but in my opinion it is one of the original paint colors available.

Thats the same color that was on my 1928 fast four engine (it was on the backside of the water pump as well as other places). I know that my engine had never been rebuilt and it looks more green then gray.