hose clamps

rons49

Not trying to be mean, but AACA accepts them on any car when they came that way from the factory. Like everything, it does not matter what general rules you may find, it is correct if it was available from the factory....if it was not available from the factory, it is not correct.

Guest windjamer

As Matt says,if it was not on the car from the factory it is incorect and a one pt. deduction per clamp. I dont think any came from the fac. with the worm style clamp, but I may be wrong. Best to check documention.

..... a one pt. deduction per clamp. ....

Just to clarify this, it is a one point deduction per clamp but only up to a total of 10 points maximum deduction. On the judging form there is one * beside the 1 in the deduction column and it stands for "TIMES COMPONENT TO MAX OF 10 POINTS". That is found beside the LEGEND at the bottom of the form.

Poci, I don't recall seeing modern style clamps on any cars that I have judged,1978 or older, that would not be a deduction. But, considering that few owners would carry documentation of the validity of hose clamps, at least not the first time they get judged, I was curious when they were invented or available to the public. This could make them period correct for some particular year. The judges handbook on page 24 does state as provided by manufactuer, which would override the" period correct defense".

If we are talking about the usual worm type clamp that everyone uses from the parts store, I would deduct for seeing one on ANY car being judged. The only exception would be that GM (at least) used a similar looking clamp on some air conditioners and on (at least) some police cars with special order hoses. But I do not think they were ever OEM on anything else.

As far as when they were introduced to the aftermarket, I would guess late 1950s at least, any old timers out there remember?