What does the "T" mean

Guest northmn

Guest northmn

What does the T in the T-type mean? I feel stupid when people ask me this question and all I can say it is simply the model designation. Some reply it must refer to the T roof . They must be wondering If I even own the car.

Only one thing you need to remember; Wikipedia is a compilation of material written by lay people just like you and me. The only thing I can say as to its validity (?) is that educators do not allow Wikipedia to be used as any source when writing a research paper. Caveat emptor.

Ed

Not all T-types were turbos (that is across Buick, not specifically the Riviera) I believe it is possble to order a Regal with the "T" package but without the LC2 engine and LeSabre T-types from 86-89 where not ever turbo'd. On the Riviera from 80-85 it does as far as I've seen designate the Turbo model but I've never owned one so I'm not an expert.

Then what was the "definition" of S in the '79 S-Type?

I think with all due respect, the meaning of a "type" has been missed. Any addition to a base package has a window sticker definition and that is what should be used as a definition when you are asked.

If someone asks me what makes my Lesabre a T Type, I would say, front and rear spoilers, special paint, bucket seats, console, special steering wheel and Reatta wheels with black center cap.

For you, if you do not have your window sticker, there are 2-3 ways - you can check in the Buick Standard catalog which should define the T Type, you can note the items on your Riviera T that are not on base Rivieras (Rivieras were not really base) for example.

Guest northmn

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to start anything else here. Could the S referr to "Sport Model"? If the T means "Touring" is there a reason for changing the S to a T ? What was Riviera's definition of "Touring"? I wonder if the meaning referrs to modifications for speed and improved handling similar to race cars.

Bob has it right. The T-types, S-type, as well as the 502 1983 XX Anniversary cars all came with different spring rates, disc/disc rather than disc/drum brakes, a higher numerical final drive ration (3.36 v. 2.78) and some other things that would give those cars more of a "Sporty" or "Touring" feel when being driven.

I think that Jayson could probably list every thing that went into this "option."

Ed

Digging into my Buick library archives, I got out the 79 Riviera dealer brochure. The S TYPE: consists of standard turbocharged V-6 engine that also includes fast ratio power steering, firmer rate front torison bar, firmer rate front & rear springs and shocks and a larger diameter front & rear stabilizer bars. In 80 it was still the S type. In 81 it was changed over the "T" Type. Gran Touring referes to the suspension In 82 the Riv. "T" type was not available until after January 1982. In 83 the "T" type was again available which included the turbocharged engine.

I hope this information will clarify this subject. I would also like to offer a suggestion,if you are not positive about the answer, don't speculate and post some random answer.

The ROA has Technical Advisors that are experts on the models they cover. Tom Mooney is also the librarian for the ROA and maintains the library. You can always send an email to any of the Technical Advisors or the Librarian.

Robert Bonto ROA #277:)

Technical Advisor 71-73

I hope this information will clarify this subject. I would also like to offer a suggestion,if you are not positive about the answer, don't speculate and post some random answer.

Technical Advisor 71-73

Robert,

Normally I would agree but this sort of forum invites comments from all readers to the subject matter and the tone should not reflect such seriousness.

Guest REX STALLION

I hope this information will clarify this subject. I would also like to offer a suggestion,if you are not positive about the answer, don't speculate and post some random answer..

Technical Advisor 71-73

Try Raisin Bran or prune juice

Guest TUFBUICK

O.K. here's some solid information from the:

"Standard Catalog of BUICK 1903-2000"

In 1979 the Riviera had two models, Luxury and sport.

Standard Riviera was powered by the 5.7 350.

S-Type was powered by the Turbo 3.8 231 w/4 Barrel carb.

Standard Riviera had 45/55 seating w/velour or vinyl w/folding armrest.

S-Type had buckets w/ center storage console in vinyl or cloth w/leather available.

S-type also had firmer rate front torsion bars and rear springs: firmer shocks: larger stabalizer bars F/R: fast ratio P/S as well as different outside and inside trim than the standard Riv.

In 1981 T-Type was the new designation for the "Sport" Riviera replacing the S-Type.

From that point on it looks like "T" was used on any Buick model that had the sport option be it performance or appearance.

It was used on:

Riviera

Regal

Century

Skyhawk

Lesabre

Electra

Now that is all taken from the above publication and I hope it clears up any questions you may have about the use of the letter......"T".

Edited by TUFBUICK (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...