1932 Chrysler Eight CP Sedan

Guest Fergus

Hi.

I am looking to purchase a 1932 Chrysler Eight CP series right hand drive sedan here in Zimbabwe. Apparently it has not run since about 1982 and is in poor condition. It appears to be about 75 to 80% complete. I am struggling to find a rough guide price for the vehicle so that I can make an informed offer for it. Would anyone be able to help me with a rough price in US$?

Thank you.

Fergus

Thank you for your replies and the valuation chart. I am trying to re-size the photos and will post them once done (internet connection allowing!)

Are there any inherent problems with these cars to watch out for if taking one on? How is the availability of parts in the US as there'll be nothing here in Zimbabwe?

Cheers

Fergus

Any Chrysler product from 1932 is going to be superior to almost anything else from that era. They were outstanding cars. The only weakness that I know of is with the four-speed transmissions that some models had. Parts availability here in the US is ok, but not as easy as it is with Fords and Chevys. However, the superiority of the car makes up for that. While there may be no parts in your country, as long as UPS or Fedex goes there, I don't see what the problem is.

My Old Car Price Guide from 2004 may reflect an approximate U.S.A. value since prices are down at this time. Here are values from #1 condition to #4 condition.

I'm not a big fan of price guides although it's probably better then grasping at thin air. I see a price of 32k for a #1 CP Roadster.

This one is for sale for 107k. Now, that price is probably high, but 32k seems awful awful low. I'd buy this car for 32k in about 10 seconds :-).

post-31305-143138147562_thumb.jpg

Guest martylum

Fergus-I bought and restored a 1933 Chrysler CQ sedan which was relatively complete as to parts and had all the chrome items replated including the radiator shell for $7,000 + 15 years ago. Just finished restoring in the last 2 years and have a fine driving looking car. Having looked for a few missing items over a period of years, I'm not sure you will find many of those missing parts. Mine has power brakes and the vacuum clutch and yours might have too.

The CQ would be 1933's version of the 32 CP 8 model.

I ended up making new cast parts from borrowed originals.

I would think $5,000 U. S. would be plenty for a 4 door sedan with missing items. these cars came very well equipped with dual sidemounts, trunk rack, etc.

If it is a convertible or convertible sedan then those prices are low.

Martin Lum

Thank you for your replies and the valuation chart. I am trying to re-size the photos and will post them once done (internet connection allowing!)

Are there any inherent problems with these cars to watch out for if taking one on? How is the availability of parts in the US as there'll be nothing here in Zimbabwe?

Cheers

Fergus

My experience, based in the US, has been that mechanical parts for that era Chrysler product are fairly easy to come by. At least that is true for the 6 cylinder based cars. Chrysler did a pretty good job at their design and generally kept mechanical things unchanged for years.

However trim parts can be very difficult to come by and each year and model has its own variations. Time has often taken their toll and there is not enough demand for after market manufacturers to reproduce parts.

So if I were to get another 1930s Chrysler product I would be very sure that it had all of its trim in restorable shape but would not be as worried about the mechanical items.

Dear Steve, alsancle, Rusty, martylum and ply33

Thank you for all your replies -they are much appreciated and I am getting a much better picture of what I may be launching myself into with your advice.

I'm certainly going to need some trim items including the headlamp lenses, mascot and a pair of tail lights. Not sure about the hubcaps due to things in the way or about the interior as couldn't have a good look when I saw the car. Hopefully, I'll get back to it early 2010 and have a really good look over. I'm going to attempt attaching some photos. Hopefully the connection here is kind to me!

Regards

Fergus

post-64064-143138148082_thumb.jpg

post-64064-143138148083_thumb.jpg

post-64064-143138148084_thumb.jpg

post-64064-143138148085_thumb.jpg

post-64064-143138148086_thumb.jpg

Guest frazer51

While we are on the subject of a 1932 Chry. here are some pictures of a '32 that I had taken about a month ago. I guess this fellow had built this into a hot rod some years ago then he had sold it. After 15 years he bought it back and decided to do it over and this is his progress. He is installing a new crate Hemi Motor with 3 carbs , AC and power windows in the Chry. His workmanship is excellent, and the body appears not to be altered but it is not my "cup of tea". I guess it is to each his own. I neither condone nor condemn what someone wants in the way of their cars.:confused:

post-61302-143138148087_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138148091_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138148094_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138148099_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138148103_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138148107_thumb.jpg

Fergus,

That is about as complete as you will find a 80 year old car that hasn't been restored. Yes, there are missing pieces but it looks from the pictures that it is fairly solid and fairly complete. Remember, as a general rule most cars that you get for free will not be worth the cost of restoration. So, the purchase price is only a small component to your decision. How and to what degree you restore the car is more important. If you can do much of the work on your own it will make it an easier purchase. It is a cool car btw.

A.J.

The pictures look very restorable. It is in better shape than I expected, and appears to have been stored indoors all its life.

A price of $2500 or so would be fair, considering it is in better shape than most restoration projects, but at the same time, allowing a discount for the missing parts.

That would be in the US, what prices are like in Zimbabwe I do not know.

Hi Frazer51.

Thank you for your message and photos. Yes, looks like a very detailed project but I have to say I prefer retaining as much originality as possible.

Cheers

Fergus

Thank you for your replies alsancle and Rusty_OToole.

Classic and vintage car prices here tend to be quite a bit lower than in the major markets due to the small number of people interested in them, lack of parts, skills, expense and good quality services. Their value can go up if someone from outside is prepared to pay for the vehicle plus export costs. There are some interesting cars left here but many of the best have been shipped out since our country's troubles started in about 2000. Since then Zimbabwe has become a less than desirable place to try and live let alone run and restore old cars! However, things seem to be improving ever so slowly. If I purchase the Chrysler I will almost certainly be calling on you guys for help with parts etc plus a trip or two across to the US. In the meantime (employment dependent too!) I will be making a start on my 1959 Jaguar Mk IX restoration.

Hope to stay in touch and all the best for the festive season.

Regards

Fergus

Fergus,

I'm just guessing here but I think restoring a MK IX (very very cool car) is probably more expensive then the Chrysler. I'm thinking that for two reasons. One, the wood & leather interior on the Jag, and two the DOHC Six has to be a more expensive rebuild then a flathead 6. If you can handle the Jag then you can handle the Chrysler. However, a very wise man once told me to never have more then one project car at a time.

Hi alsancle.

Thank you for your advice and hope you had a great Christmas.

I realise the Mk IX is going to be a major project but if the Chrysler joins the stable it's will certainly only be one car at a time. I just feel the Chrysler needs 'saving' although I vowed to only have the Jag and no more! I have also know about the Chrysler since my school days (and it's still in the same place!) so there's a bit of destiny thrown in. I know; excuses, excuses. Now to get stuck into a good job next month to pay for all this!

All the best for 2010.

Regards

Fergus

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Hope you're well and prospering so far in 2011? Apologies if you've already received this as an email from me.

I am returning to this thread from way back in December 2009 as I still haven't purchased the car but the deal is still on the table. What I need to ask you is if there's been any change to the approximate values you gave me for this car when you responded in 2009? I think a couple of the values given came from the OCPG. It really would be much appreciated if you are able to have a look for the latest values for me as I can't find anything useful on the net.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Fergus

Fergus,

If anything, the market for project cars (in the U.S.A) has gotten softer. The economy has not been great and most of my buddies have cut back on their car related expenses. Although a nice solid car and pretty body, it's not the sort of thing that you could flip to the U.S and make any money as the shipping cost would be as much as the car is worth here. Ultimately this is more of a decision of love then one of the brain as there is rarely money to be made with something like this.

Thank you for your replies and advice -all really appreciated out here in the sticks!

Rusty, I don't know why you couldn't reply to my email as I received emails from both Marty Lum and alsancle. However, thank you for doing so on the forum.

We have been using the US$ officially since the end of 2008 and unofficially for a few years before that. It was an unbelievable situation as I'm sure you read about. I can't remember the inflation figures but we even had a bank note of Zimbabwe $ 10 Trillion at one point!!!! Don't ask me to type out all the zeros because I can't remember how many there were! As a result things became really difficult in just day to day living let alone running and restoring cars. Things have eased a lot but there's no money around, you can't borrow it at reasonable rates and so the economy is still suffering.

Cheers

Fergus