1931 Dodge DH6 mid-year change

keiser31

I just wanted you folks out there to know (just in case you did'nt) that the early production runs of DB DH6s had two front door hinges. The later cars had three. I just found out this difference between my two coupes when I measured a door for a guy this year and thought I would share. When guys are looking for a coupe door, they must verify the amount of hinges, otherwise some alterations are in order. John

Also maybe of interest is that early Da doors had differences as well such as armrests incorporated into shell, cannot remember the exact details such as if that covered all bodystyles or only specific but it just goes to show you how much we all dont know.

The later 1931s also introduced a few of the new sleek styling features of the '32s, i.e. those sexy, curvaceous bumpers.
I believe the wavy bumpers were only on the straight eight (DG8) cars in 1931.

On the 1931 DH6s, the first 6 month run came with what I lovingly call the "shooting star" cap. Then they went to the ram. Technically, I should have one of each, but I don't care for the ram as much as I do for the star. Would'nt you know I would like the more rare item.

post-37352-143138143799_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143806_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143808_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143809_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143814_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

So, OK, John...we've both referred to and admired this photo off the AACA site in private messages.

Do you think this is a correctly outfitted late 1931 (indicated by the vertical windshield with external sunvisor) sporting the double curvy band bumpers, ram, curvy door handles and...what else?

If so, does the double curvy bumper indicate a 6 cylinder model, like is indicative for the '32s?

post-61720-14313814383_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos, pretty cars, didnt think I cared for Ram either until you showed the photo of the car with painted headlights. It looks good I guess because the Ram is sleek.

So, OK, John...we've both referred to and admired this photo off the AACA site in private messages.

Do you think this is a correctly outfitted late 1931 (indicated by the vertical windshield with external sunvisor) sporting the double curvy band bumpers, ram, curvy door handles and...what else?

If so, does the double curvy bumper indicate a 6 cylinder model, like is indicative for the '32s?

Phil...the coupe you are referring to and posted a photo of is the eight cylinder car. Notice the distance between the hood louvers and the radiator shell...about a foot of flat hood. The sixes had about a 4" flat area there. The curvy bumper was only on the 8s.

Yea Jason, it's kind of odd that both cars have red primered headlights. Were all '31's that way?

nearchoclatown...the reason both cars have primered headlight buckets is because they are both the same car. Mine. They are supposed to be black or chrome. They are off of my first '31 which is still all primer from when I was 15 years old. I had to use them since I only had one pair. Now I have a pair for both cars and will paint these black. I showed both radiator caps because I used to have the ram cap and I was debating which I liked better.

Yes. It is an eight cylinder car and it is perfectly factory outfitted as far as I can tell. Notice the three door hinges (well, you can only see two, but the center hinge is the later model giveaway) and the ram.....later in the year model.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

It is an eight cylinder car and it is perfectly factory outfitted as far as I can tell. Notice the three door hinges (well, you can only see two, but the center hinge is the later model giveaway) and the ram.....later in the year model.

Thanks for all of that info, John. You've explained a lot of the geneology of my '32DL6! I find it interesting that they switched the two different bumper styles for the late 1931 6 & 8 models on the 1932 6 & 8. More on those double curvy bumpers in an upcoming thread.

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

The factory photos posted by Kaiser appear that the headlight bar is painted. All of the headlight bars I have seen are chrome?

The painted headlight bar in the factory photo means that it was not the sport model. To clarify things...sport models had chrome headlights, chrome cowl lights, chrome headlight bar and chrome taillight bucket.