Radiator Cap for a 1929 Dictator?

The Dictator / Commander size caps do come up on Ebay occasionally, and I have seen them at swap meets recently. You have to be careful not to buy one that is cracked around the wing, and make sure it is not the large President model. The metal the caps are made out of cracks with age. These caps have been reproduced by Steve Munts in Spokane, WA. You might want to check with him to see if he has one available, or if he is still making reproductions.

The last Steve Munts parts catalog that I have is a 2001. In this catalog the 1929-1930 Dictator / Commander winged radiator cap is listed as a non-stock part item and takes about 6 – 12 weeks for delivery at $179.95 each. (Remember this is a 2001 catalog).

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)

I have 2 Dictators, a '29 and '30. Niether cars have wings on the headlights, and both cars have matching radiator caps, but these cars were here 40 years before me, so who knows what might have been changed on them over the years. I liked the winged type radiator cap, so I picked one up at the Southbend swap meet a few years back, installed it, and found that the hood hits the tip of the wing when it is raised all the way. The Commanders and Presidents have wider radiator shells, so that leaves room for the hoods to clear the radiator cap wings. I still believe I have provided the correct picture, but have been wrong many times before. Any differences between the 6 and 8 cylinder cars? Both of mine are 8's. Here is another picture of a nicely restored '30 Dictator, not one of mine.

post-35825-143138137867_thumb.jpg

Edited by studeboy1930 (see edit history)

Studeboy1930 –

You mentioned that both of your Dictators are 8 cylinder cars. The Dictator 8 was introduced in 1930. In 1928 – 1929 model Dictators could have come with, or without, the winged motif on the headlamps. Standard trim Dictators had painted headlight buckets with plain chrome bezel that did not have the wing on top. Dictators with delux trim had fully chromed headlights with the wing motif. Regardless of whether the headlights were chromed or painted the radiator had a winged cap. I have been in the ASC for 35 years and I have never seen a 1928-30 Dictators that did not have a winged radiator cap. Until now I was never aware of the possibility of a Dictator leaving the factory with anything other than the standard winged cap – even the ones with plain painted headlight buckets. I guess anything is possible and that maybe there is such a thing as a plain cap on some Dictators.

Echo Robert, it might help to know if your car is a GE or a GL. I think I am right in that the GE has the wings on headlights, sidelights and radiator cap but the GL doesn't (?). I have a third series GE Regal sedan myself which is more correctly called a 1928 1/2 I think, but is registered as a 1929 car. It was sold new here in NZ in March 1929 so must have been built in 1928 - there may even have been overlapping of production of various models? Studebakers of that late 1920s era are very confusing when it comes to dating them. Comment from Mark Huston perhaps - I think you know as much about this era as anyone from what I have read.