Peer Judging

Mark Huston

I have been involved with a car festival for 15 years. We have used the peer judging from the start. The way we work it is that each car exhibitor gets a ballot sheet. On the ballot sheet is listed every car that pre-registered prior to the cut off. There are places for write-ins for late entry cars. Now each exhibitor must vote for 2 cars in each class and turn in the ballot sheet filled out for each class BEFORE they are given the dash plaque. With out this provision they are not motivated to do the voting and turn in the sheet. By requiring 2 votes per class, and in every class, it takes care of people only voting for their car and leaving it at that. We give out one award per class, and best of show and peoples choice. Best of show is determined by the highest vote winner for all the classes, and peoples choice is voted on by the spectators. <BR>We have been doing it this way for 15 years with out any major problems. We do have people that complain about it being "unprofessional" - but it is a pre-WW2 only car festival not a formal concourse and we advertise it that way so there are no missunderstandings. It is meant to be causual, low key fun time. And those who understand that come back every year and do enjoy the meet and are willing participants in the peer judging. <BR>The only thing I can advise you to watch out for is look at the cars before giving out the award, use common sense, we have had people come up with creative ways to "stuff the ballot box". So, just don't count up the totals off the ballot sheet, when done, go look at the cars yourself. wink.gif" border="0

Mark,<P>Gault, CA is within driving range in my 33 (after all I did drive it to Yosemite last weekend). I have not heard of your pre-WW2 car festival. When is it? What club is the sponsor? I might want to motor on out and take a look-see.... <P>Tod

Galt Old Car Festival is sponsered by the Galt Area Historical Society (209)745-0951. The Car Festival is around the 4th Sunday in September (call to make sure of the date and to get a registration form). The classes they use are: Horseless Carriage through 1919; 1920 through 1929; 1930 through 1933; 1934 through 1937; 1938 through 1942; Classics to 1942; Commerial; and Motorcyles. This is Peer Judging, low key, laid back relaxed event. There are clubs like Model T's & A's, Dodge, etc, who make this a yearly club event. Ply33, I look forward to seeing you next year. wink.gif" border="0

Greetings all. Nubie over here. We are planning an open car show for next spring. Could someone please explain to me how peer judging works ? Does everyone who enters the show have a vote on all the classes ? Do members of a certain class vote on only the cars in their class ? What if everyone votes for themselves and everybody gets one vote ??? With an open show and so many different manufacturers and models, we hope, was just trying to figure out what would be most fair and fun way to do the judging and keep everyone happy. Thanks in advance for your help.

Al,<BR>I too have been involved with the Galt Old Car Festival since it's begining with Mark Huston. A few years ago both of us stopped being involved in the planning and on the committees for the festival, just retired to the status of participants now. Anyway, the classes that Mark had listed in his above response is not the way it was originally set up. It use to be in the following format;<BR>1. Horseless Carriages<BR>2. 1919 thru 1926<BR>3. 1927 thru 1930<BR>4. 1931 thru 1934<BR>5. 1935 thru 1938<BR>6. 1939 thru 1942 <BR>7. Commercial Class<BR>8. "Classics"<P>We set it up this way originally because we wanted to be fair to those who were into the "Trophy" aspect of shows and tried to keep the years divided in this manner based on general body design and style. I do not agree with the way they have the classes set up now, and I am sure there will be those who may take offense to having to have their 1921 or 1922 compete against the lines and style of a 1929. Keep these things in mind when setting up your classes, and think about the body style changes on most cars, when they took place and try to keep that similar theme through the catagory selection process. If you look at it in this way, and look at the breakdown in classes I listed above you will see where there is a logical division between these years, and people will be more inclined to come back to your show the following year if they feel the classes were set up fairly, and your goal in a show, just like business, is keep your "customer" coming back.<p>[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: ASCwebmaster ]