reading codes on dodge dakota

Booreatta

Ihave a Dodge Dakota that keeps setting the check engine light. I unhook the battery and have replaced the fuel cap. I remember some where that I can read the codes with the key. For the life of me I cant remember how. I am Buick guy and just use the Dodge for carrying stuff from time to time. It is a 2003 with 75000 miles. I am sure it is something simple but if one of you Dodge guys can point the way to go I would appreciate it

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Booreatta@cox.net

I have a Dakota as well and I think you will have to have it scaned. The GM cars do have a way but not the Mopars. I found that when I wired something up under the pick up I pulled to tight on a couple of zip ties where I was following some of that plumbing that goes to the gas tank. They might have been vacuum lines or return lines or something like that. I had to have it scaned to learn that the light had to do with emissions.

Cycle the ignition switch three times on off on off the third time leave it on and your codes will either show up on the check engine light if it is a code 23 it will flash twice the three times when it flashes a 5-5 it is done you have to count the flashes or look at your odometer it depends on the year

Rick thanks the on off key worked. I didnt have any codes set. I also didnt have the check enging light this morning. I will keep a watch on it I know that it wont fix itself and sooner or later it will lite the check enging light again.

I knew that it was simple. Thanks Chuck

Guest DodgeKCL

For what it's worth,yes I know it says 'antique' at the top of the page, all Chrysler products from about 1988 K-cars (my first car to have a computer on board) upwards can have their error codes read by this same method. Neons can have their error codes read out this way. It may have stopped with the end of OBD II (On Board Diagnostics version 2 ) in 1996, I'm not sure. But it's worth a try if you have a vehicle that falls in those years. The local Chrylser dealer will usually tell you what the error means.

well I am back at it again, The check engine light is on again and this time I have a code P 456. Then the check engine light flashes 10 times. Any body have a service manual that can reference these numbers. I just replace the IAC, and it has a new fuel cap. Any Ideas would be appreciated

Chuck Kerls

Hi

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with 70,000 miles and my engine light came on about two weeks ago.

I took to Advanced Auto Parts. they have a code reader to let you take it out to the parking lot to use. plugs right in a socket under the steering column.Easy to use.

Do you have any auto parts stores around you area? They might have one too.

• 2 years later...
Guest laurieed2002

I have a 1988 dodge dakota 3.9L that displays code 12 (which is start of codes), the blinks 3 times, then blinks code 5 5 which I know is end of codes, what does code 3 mean? I have repeated it three times to make sure I was reading the code properly and each time I get the same number 12355, which translates to 12, then 3, then 55. The codes don't go lower than 12, help!