Woodgrain interior trim. What do do?

Guest Hockeye

Hi Folks.

I have multiple cars with the fake woodgrain paint finish. On my 50 Plymouth it looks like there is a base of fake woodgrain, then something like varnish or "clear coat" over it which is flaking off, or someone has chipped it off. If I could get it off without ruining the base woodgrain paint, I could do some good.

If I can't..... Is there anyone who will refinish them for you?

Grain-It Technologies from Fl. is the very best I've ever seen, they do Pebble Beach cars all the time. They also sell kits for the do-it yourselfer. JDee is the owner, has a spot on the Green field at Hershey. He says it was an entry level job when the cars were built, that it's easy. I've never tried it but am facinated watching them at Hershey.

I know there are plenty of advertisers in Hemmings, but it sounds like nearchoclatetown has / knows of experience with the firm he noted. I don't know about taking the original clearcoat off and saving the original woodgrain.....hmmmm. Back in the late 70's Skinned Knuckles magazine had an article on woodgraining....basically you painted the cleaned piece w/ gray paint, after drying and light sanding you used a wood stain wiped over the painted part. Don't work the stain too much. After the stain dried a clear finish was put over it. I used just a straight grain, but as weird as it sounds it came out nice. They showed how to do other graining methods, but I just can't remember them. I don't know how expensive woodgraining by professionals is, but the kit nearchocolatetown mentions sold by the firm may be worthwhile. It was actually pretty easy to do the little woodgraining I did years ago.

Do you still have that article Bob, I dont think I have seen that one and would like a copy, I can contact them but I know they at least need a roundabout date.

Bob, I got to know the owner at Hershey. His stand was close to me back in the White Field days. His method is a rubber roller rolled over a flat metal sheet with the pattern imprinted in it. The roller transfers the pattern to the dash. He says that's how the original was done. They sell a DVD that shows the whole process. It LOOKS so easy in the video and watching him. The kits start at around $250, comes with what is needed. His client list is a who's who of the mega cars. They have patterns for most every type of wood used. And of course being artsy he has patterns for decks of cards, dollar bills, coins, shamrocks, etc. for street rod or customs.

March 1979 issue of Skinned Knuckles, according to a search on the Internet, has an article on woodgraining. If you can't find it, email me directly (remove the nospam from address) and I will try to get a scan of the article for you tomorrow. I have most issues of SK up until a couple years ago, missing the last few years. David Coco Winchester Va. David.Coconospam@hphood.com

Try to clean the surface, without sanding. Clear lacquer then applied over it should bring back the color in the graining. The new surface can be carefully sanded (don't go through it to the graining!)and then coated again.

Saving the old graining is much better than putting down new graining. Yes, the original was done with rubber rollers (and hand-touching up in the corners), most "home" graining jobs are done with cheesecloth and other tricks to replicate the original. It's not a really difficult job, but it is time-consuming, and does require a bit of artistic talent.

I have "rescued" some pretty bad looking woodgrain where the clear coat was completely alligatored. Saving the original, I think, is much preferred to refinishing.

David D.

Thanks David ( Trimacar ) for the offer, I wanted to contact the mag before I responded and I have done so only to be told that issue is no longer avail for copy so If you could e-mail me a copy of that article it would be greatly appreciated, I sent you and e-mail but just in case mine is jhason2@yahoo.com, thanks again.