Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Guest jlmccuan

Hey, John. Wish I had gotten to talk with you. John Shannahan wanted me to relay his greetings to you and Greg Cone. BTW, I had the 10,000 mile car and it is not a repaint or reupholster. Very original and unrestored. But I have spent a great deal of time on the paint getting the lacquer to what I feel is an acceptable lustre. 26 years without seeing daylight and the first 11 years of its life only seeing daylight when driven 5200 miles has kept it fairly nice. It also is for sale with tons of documentation supporting .

It is Tuesday, July 19th. Getting ready for another hot one today. It got up to 95 yesterday with high humidity. They are saying that we will get to 104 degrees on Friday, with super high humidity. Needless to say, we are wilting.

Joe and his wife, Kathy, from Ferndale, WA went with us to the Buick Nationals in Boston. While there he lamented to me that he would like to get a nice driver quality 1955 Buick Centrury hardtop. A car of his youth. Low and behold he found one in Seattle on Craigslist. After a couple of call, and much prodding from me, he headed to Seattle to look at the car. Well, he struck a deal with the owner, paid his money, and a friend of his drove it back to Ferndale (about a hundred miles) with no no problems. Hope to have pictures today.

Looks like it was too hot for Greg too. He worked in the shop. Here is his short report and pics.

"Spent the time last night to finish steering parts for the Rob Burchill's '28 Chrysler express. Like everything else, took too long, but now off the list."

post-48480-14313860427_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604275_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604345_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604347_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604349_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604351_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
add pics of Joe's new Buick (see edit history)

It is Wednesday, July 20th. Did I say it is hot. It is to be over 100 degrees for at least the next four or five days. And no rain in sight either. Going to be fun trying to keep everyone cool. Good thing that some of the llamas like to be hosed down. Otherwise they sit in the barn with the fans going full blast.

Joe got his new 1955 Buick home just fine. He is taking it in to his local shop to be put on a lift to see what he has. He has a trusted mechanic and will get his assessment of what she needs. While on the lift will have all the fluids changed. Joe usually does all his mechanical work so this inspection will give him a good idea what has to be done. Joe's intention is to keep this car as his high speed driver. Here are some new pictures of the car at its new home in WA.

post-48480-143138604886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604888_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313860489_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604892_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604894_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138604896_thumb.jpg

Still Wednesday, and here is a report from Greg.

"Dropped what I was doing yesterday afternoon and clocked out of my day job. I'd spent the day looking out the window while I sanded Wright Bros cylinder water jackets. They get buffed and I've got a stack of them to do.

We are finally in a spell of my kind of weather. Fold the top down, push out the windshield a couple notches (if you have one) and go kind of weather. In a matter of weeks we'll be checking antifreeze.

The Stoddard was calling. I grabbed the parts I'd made for Rob and a modern car and off I went. The Dayton needs to be road tested with that fresh steering box. Pleasant hour and a half drive to Maryland and wouldn't you know it. Just as I arrived it started raining. RATS!

So I decided to try one of the front wheels on his bubble balancer. With the wheel off I could see that it wouldn't fit on his machine, and the wheel almost too heavy for me to lift by myself, I put it back on the spindle and made my way home.

Should've been satisfied with a spin around town in the old Dodge."

It is Thursday, July 21st. Did I say it was hot here. 99.5 degrees at 3:30 PM. A couple more hours of heating to go before it starts to cool off a bit. Will be about 84 degrees at midnight or so.

And at four o'clock last night I went out to water down the llamas, turned on the hose and a trickle came out. Ran into the house, made sure all the water faucets were turned off, changed the whole house filter, waited an hour, and tried again. Got about ten minutes of water then it stopped. Power to the pump, OK; but the pump was not working.

Called a recommended driller in the morning, and they were out in a flash. Couple of nice guys showed up, checked power (OK), and then they pulled the pump. About 170 feet of pipe was pulled up. 34 year old pump had given up, so it was replaced. Yea, we have water again.

On a car note. I sent away for the Buick National's judging form for the 23. It received 386 points out of 400. The gold award cutoff was 385. All in all I judged the minus pointed to be deserved. However, I can do nothing about some of them so will have to take my lumps if the car is ever judged again. The two major things are the chrome plating and painting of the wheel spokes. The radiator, steering column, and lights got several hits for chrome versus nickle plating. The wheels should have been natural rather than painted. Other negative marks were for a dull radiator dog bone, dull paint on rear light and gas tank. And a few other dull paint items. Oh, and dry rotting tires. I think that with a little work and replacement of those tires, which I am going to do, would net me about five points. All in all, the judging was correct and professional. Cannot fault the judging at all.

Here are a couple of pics of the well pump replacement. Heading to the pool. Ouch, the water is 84 degrees.

post-48480-143138605756_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138605774_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313860579_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138605805_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Friday, July 22nd. Did I say it was hot. It got up to 103.4 yesterday afternoon. Today it is suppose to be even hotter.

Here is Greg's report from last night.

"Perpetual Peerless. Trying to finish the oiler project. For those of you who don't know, lots of early cars used a sight glass drip oiler to monitor and adjust the flow of oil to bearings and such. Drips per minute.

These get a white background card for visibility. They are done, now I'm copying the sample retainer clips. The clips will be fitted individually and then buffed.

Took the Avanti out for a pleasant spin this evening. I like it!"

post-48480-143138606357_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138606361_thumb.jpg

Bill, yes, I did lose one point for displaying those emblems. I misinterpreted the judging rules. I thought that if it was a period accessory then that would be OK. But the head judge informed me that only dealer or Buick factory provided accessories were acceptable. For example, a bumper was a dealer accessory. So next time they will be removed. An easy five minutes exercise.

It is Monday, July 25th. Got a great thunderstorm last night. Dumped 1/2 inch of rain. We really needed it. A little cooler today, in the low 90s for a couple of days and then it will go up again. Such is summer in VA.

Here is Greg's weekend report. Busy as usual.

"This is how it was done in the olden days. Demounting a hight pressure straight side tire mounted on a split rim.

After a nice ride in the Dodge I decided to check the tire pressure. If I'd have done that before the ride, wouldn't have gone. Big 'ol goose egg on the tread of the right rear.

Today we drove to Rob's to fetch the set of Firestones that I found at Hershey. Tonight I began breaking them down to clean up the rims and prep them. Got three of the five apart."

post-48480-143138610099_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138610104_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138610108_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, July 27th. Heading back into town today to pick up our second ton of wood pellets. Seems odd to be stocking pellets for the winter in the middle of summer and in 96 degrees. Have one ton unloaded, transported, and stacked.

But Greg gets to do car stuff. Here is his wheel report.

"Working on the '21 Dodge rims. They had been cleaned and painted once upon a time. Over the original zinc plating. So now, chipped and rusty in places, it bothers me that I'm not sandblasting them until the sparks fly, surface finish them and have them re coated.

Instead I've given them a light sandblasting in places and rattle can primered them. Oh I did touch them up with some bondo in places, but now that I'm doing it the quick and dirty way, it shows. I'm top coating them with some of that VHT brake caliper paint. It's tough, high temp, and it gives a cad plated finish. I have to pacify myself with the realization that I could make a month's work out of this. Choose your battles.

Otherwise, did have something happen to me today that doesn't happen very often. I was sitting here at the computer and all in an instant, I heard a POP over my head, things weren't as bright, and before I could even look up to see what the hell....... an eight foot flourescent bulb hit me over the head and exploded filling the room with broken glass and white smoke. Timing is everything.

post-48480-143138612308_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138612313_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, July 28th. Here is a quick report from Greg.

"IOU one photo of five Firestone 33 x 4 tires and tubes on rims. Can't find the camera.

The tires are mounted on the rims, but the rims aren't spread and latched. With the customary scratching and gouging of paint, but without any bloodblisters, cuts, bruises or black eyes. I've decided not to tempt fate by trying to get the rims spread without proper equipment. Probable trip to Rob's tomorrow evening to finish them up.

Also, the semi fluid grease came for my Stoddard steering box. Remind me not to forget to take it along."

It is Friday, July 29th. Cooking here again today, over 100 degrees and with high humidity it will feel like 110.

Here is Greg's report from last night.

"Found the camera. Some wiseguy gathered it up and put it away. Stuffed it in the camera bag. WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE THINGS WHERE I LAY THEM?

So tonight I loaded the wheels and the GREASE and drove to Rob's. He met me at the door and we spent some time together. Nothing says male bonding like tire irons and a sledge hammer.

Even though the pneumatic rim spreader was out of breath, we used the old hand crank type and only the last rim gave us any grief. Very unusual, working with high pressure tires without much conversation, especially any referring to the tires heritage, etc. Also remarkable was that nobody got whacked with the sledge, stabbed with a tire iron, eye poked out, etc. It went well.

The other miracle tonight was that the reminders to take the Stoddard steering grease paid off. I'd gotten that special kind that comes in a bottle but has a consisitency like Vasoline. I wondered how I was going to get it inside the steering box, but they thought of everything. The bottle forms a spout that has a 1/4" pipe thread on the end. I was able to start the flow by squeezing the bottle, then with it still upside down, I stabbed the bottom of the bottle with an icepick and hopefully it will have emptied by the time I get back.

Photos of the tires as they are now. Ready to install on the wheels and inflate."

post-48480-143138613964_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138613969_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, July 30th. Only about 94 degrees today; and they forecast over 90 degrees temps for the next seven or more days.

But Greg and Barbara drove over to say hi, and to give Alice and I a ride in the Dodge. Boy, what a ride. We bounced along our country roads at a pretty quick pace. We had a great time.

Here are a few pics. You can see that the distributor cap is off the engine. Greg felt a slight miss so he filed down the points before they left for home. He sent me a note that they made it home fine, and no miss.

post-48480-14313861557_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138615584_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138615598_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138615613_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138615627_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138615641_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, August 2nd. Ho hum....... another 95 degree day. Becoming the new normal. July was the hottest month ever for the ever. Broke almost every heat record for the month. August looks to be about the same or hotter.

Here is Greg's weekend report.

"Plenty of projects waiting on me.

We had the '21 Dodge out and around over the weekend. With the replacement tires and tubes mounted, found that I'd overlooked a leak on one of the stems. The famous Frank Gable got here just in time to help me break it down and replace the tube with another used tube. Then we did the road test thing, Frank helping with the driving chores.

Then Barb and I took the car to lunch. Then after that Barb and I took the car to Unimog Feser's. That was a nice ride on a back road through the rolling foothills . Then we took them for a ride. Then we drove it back. Then after dark we put it in the shed but took the long way by way of the back road to downtown Warrenton and return. Do you think that maybe the car's resting days are over?

Worked on the Avanti some. Carpeting on the console needs to be finalized. Working on it.

Peerless oilers are almost done, but I have a question about the arrangement of the fittings and need guidance from Idaho. I'd really like to get them out of here this week, even though they aren't holding up the project. Pic attached.

So that gives me the time to resume the Pope Toledo water pump replacement.

And there's that Matheson engine waiting.

My friends need patience."

=

post-48480-143138620225_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, August 4th. Greg is working on his projects, me, not so much, too much farm stuff to do. Here is his report. He sure does beautiful work.

"Back when men were men... and oilers dripped a little.......

This is what Peerless used to monitor and adjust oil flow to some things.

Brass is beautiful. Especially when it is done and out of here.

post-48480-143138622058_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138622062_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138622066_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, August 8th. Greg is still hard at it. Looks like he is pulling another Avanti out of his storage barn. Me? Just doing farm stuff. Took the Suburban and the horse trailer out into the hay fields and picked up 50 bales of hay. Done with the hay stuff as we have about 230 bales stacked and put away for winter. Of course it was 95 degrees. Here is Greg's report from the weekend.

"Dodge work:

Washing windows. The Dodge is a curtain car. I've got them but they sure were dirty from storage. Scrubbed them with soap and water, the windows are isinglass (and called catherdral windows), and I was able to get them clean with Plexiglass polish. They came out alright.

Maroon Avanti:

I want to replace the trim piece that covers the fuel filler hose in the rear package tray. Using the old one as a pattern, I found some placticized cardboard and covered it with some original vinyl of the wrong color. But it is the right grain and it will dye nicely.

Then I was able to get the rear headliner in place. It needs some adjustment, but being cardboard, I was able to sneak it in place without doing as the service manual instructs. "Remove rear window". Yeah, right. But remind me to do it the right way on this next one.

Now I'm getting ready to try salvaging the roll bar cover. Formed foam with steel reinforcements that got covered with vinyl. Scrubbed, it will need a while to dry before I try to rebuild it..

Black Avanti:

I need to extricate it from the back of the storage garage. That will require some effort. Getting ready for that , we drove to Rob's today to borrow his roller dollies. I think I can get it unblocked by rolling another car out of its way.

I've been able to get it back on wheels after standing idle on jack stands since probably 1978? It is now down and I rolled it a foot or two. There is a lot going on between it and the door. I hope to move it this month.

Been a good weekend."

post-48480-143138625268_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138625273_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138625277_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138625282_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138625286_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, August 9th. Here is Greg's report from Monday. He had a busy day.

"Today was busy for the Avanti.

I called the front end alingnment shop and was given the green light. Come on. Drove over to a nice shop in the boondocks on a nice day. The guy has computerized equipment and we got it set up. Even though for some reason the computer didn't have Studebaker in its files.

The car drove ok, but I knew the front end was out, but not that much. Way out. And there is age and some wear evident. I don't remember if Steve replaced much under there. All in all, it wasn't that worn. We did find some major fasteners that were loose too.

We spent over two hours under it. Got it to as close as possible to specs, but still had a little negative camber when they called for none. Of course that was for bias ply tires and I'm riding on radials.

Left happy as a clam and made it only part way out his winding country lane before the wheels started trembling and I turned it around. Evidently with the front wheels pointing different directions a little wear in the system didn't matter. Get the wheels pointing in the same direction and they'll wobble.

Under the front end again we were able to find some movement in the center steering pivot bearing. So, just when I thought that I'd almost finished spending money on this one, I'm ordering more parts.

So enough about mine.

Took the time tonight to machine a thread gauge for the Pope Toledo water pump connection. Got that done.

post-48480-143138626271_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, August 10th. Greg is working on his project. Here is his report.

"Nothing earthshaking tonight.

Avanti: The wet foam rubber rollbar cover has dried out. I'm beginning the reassembly with the installation of the reinforcement straps. I tried using Gorilla Glue. Scott really likes it for woodwork, and you'll notice how it foams and expands when it cures. It should work well with the formed rubber. There are a couple lengths of steel yet to glue in place. After this bunch has cured.

The Holy Toledo water pump: I received it in a Kleenex box. So I'm guessing at it. The pump outlet has a threaded connection where it mates with the cylinders. The photo shows the only clue I have concerning the inlet. There is only one machining mark left, I'm hoping it too is this threaded hookup. That's what it is now. Other photos show how the aluminum pump has disintegrated.

I talked to Mike Nash tonight. He used to maintain this car when it was in another collection. He says that although a wonderful thing to look at, the engine being a combination of iron cylinders, copper water jackets, aluminum pump all immersed in water, the electrolysis is constantly trying to consume the thing. He once used a voltmeter, one probe to ground and one in the coolant and it was reading a volt and a half. He says the car is one big storage battery. The current owner is forgoing the aluminum alloy pump, is opting for a more durable bronze casting."

post-48480-143138626964_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138626969_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138626974_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138626979_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138626984_thumb.jpg

Ken, I will pass that info on to Greg.

It is Thursday, August 11th. Pulled the open car trailer out of the pasture and got it ready for Greg. He is going to pull his black Avanti out of storage and take it to the hanger. He also sent me this update, but I was unable to pull up the pictures. So they will have to wait. But here is his report.

"Lots of good things happened today.. including the enclosed note from Greg D. in England.

Jim Davis stopped by for lunch. I drove and gave him his choice of rides. He said old Dodge since it was a nice day. Went for Mexican. Afterward we remembered to pick up Chicken sandwiches for the boss. Of course being top down in the Dodge, to keep Jim from crying we had to go through the drive-thru. (Pardon the lack of paragraphs, don't know how with this pasting of a letter). Weldon Britton was by. Haven't seen him for a while. Always a pleasure. And after work I made the trip to the storage garage to prepare the black '64 (R5054) for transport. That went well and it is ready. And now this latest acquisition. No, not another car. Read the letter.

Hi Greg,

I have just finished packing the wheels up and they will fly out tomorrow. Spinners and nuts are in box 3. 2 wheels per box excpet box 3 which has the all important bits. They go on about a 2 or 3 day service so should be in your office Monday.

Attached are some pictures of their last day in my 24 or so years of ownership. I bought them in my early 20's in the late 80's. My 3.5 year old daughter, Eilish, helped chamois of the Lark this morning. I mounted the wheels in the UK for the first time today on my Lark and took them for a 100mph ride up the A46 towards Coventry in the Lark. It is the first time I have usd them in over 10 years. A fitting end to the Australian histry of these wheels that took Studebaker to Victory in it's class at Bathurst with Bert Needham in 1967, Australia's greatest road race.

When I moved them from Melbourne in 2005 when I went home to get all my things, I misplaced the wheel nuts till about a year ago, when I found them where i had left them tucked away in the corner of the toy office.....

I wish you every success with the wheels. It is a sad day for me here as they have been with me almost all the time I have owned an Avanti. I have moved on more to slower vehicles.

Regards

Greg D.

Greg promised pictures, and he delivered.

"these are the pictures that didn't make it through last night. Greg D's Lark and daughter. Setting somewhere between Warwick and Coventry, Great Britain.

With all the computer wizardry at my command, I've held the camera to the monitor. That's the best you'll get."

post-48480-143138628214_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628218_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628222_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628227_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628231_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628235_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, August 12th. Greg is back working on the maroon Avanti. Here is his report.

"I've been getting complaints about the hot air that enters the passenger compartment. The foam rubber seals on the vent doors was shot, so with today's mail came the new rubbers. Out with the old and in with the new. I'm sure that when the doors are reinstalled, the car will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. That was easy.

Spent more time on the rollbar cover. Glued in the remaining reinforcements and now I'm hemming the vinyl on one side. Glad I'm not paying myself by the hour.

News Flash! Just got word from the intrepid aviator Andrew King. He's down for the night in Ohio, ferrying the world's oldest Cessna to it's new owner. We may fit into his plans. The aircraft destination is in Pennsylvania, but seems he will finish his trip on foot. We're to pick him up at the Culpeper, Va airport for the last leg of his adventure."

post-48480-143138628319_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628324_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628328_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138628332_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, August 15th. Took the Suburban and trailer to Greg this morning. He said that he is anxiously awaiting the wheels from Australia. He sent me this pic of the wheels in action. And here is where they were racing. A fitting end to the Australian histry of these wheels that took Studebaker to Victory in it's class at Bathurst with Bert Needham in 1967, Australia's greatest road race.

post-48480-143138630743_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, August 16th. Greg's Avanti is out of storage. Here is his report. What a diamond in the rough, very rough.

Well, it sure is disappointing to see what the ravages of time can do.

John Feser met me at my door this morning with the keys to his truck and trailer. Nice gesture. Things were busy here at work, but when personal business arose that took me near the garage, I decided to take an early lunch and kill two birds with one stone.

As I approached the neighborhood, it occurred to me that in my haste to leave, I'd forgotten to bring the spare battery to power the trailer winch, my only way to get a dead car on the trailer. A plan to stop by White Post Rest. to borrow one was soon followed by the realization that today was Monday, their day off. Now what, too far to go back , I called David Coco for ideas. As luck would have it, he was nearby on Cord business. With his trailer. We decided to meet at WPR to drop his trailer and then follow me to use his Suburban battery for the winch.

Armed with his friend Marty Roth, we pushed the black Avanti out of seclusion and into sunlight for the first time in many years.

Dvd decided to expedite the loading process by towing the Studebaker onto the trailer with the tow strap.

Arriving here in Warrenton, I've since taken the filthy dirty Avanti to the carwash.

It had lain neglected in dark storage for all this time, a building subject to being damp at times.

Looking for some humor in this , I did find that I had stored a NOS hood insulator on the top of the car. It was made of yellow fiberglass insulation and sprayed with a tar like undercoating.

It stuck. I had to tear it up to remove it. But it all didn't come off. The only amusement to be found was what looked like a black car with a yellow crew cut.

I made an absolute mess of the car wash.

Now it is safely unloaded and waiting for room inside the hangar where it will begin to come apart.

We spent a lot of time together, it was a faithful companion.

I've talked to a lot of guys who wish they had that Mustang or GTO from days gone by, but you know.....I still have this one and the

flaking paint, rust, mildew, and rotten carpet to go with it.

I am surprised to see that the tags ran out in Aug '79. I bought the car in '69, put it in storage while overseas, drove it daily for a year and tore it down for a two year restoration that was finshed in '74. That means the car had a service life of only about six years for me.

I need to catch up.

post-48480-143138631583_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631588_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631593_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631597_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631601_thumb.jpg

Been flying all day so we are now in Seattle for a week, but will report on Greg's progress. Here is an update on the wheels from Australia. They look good. I have no idea what they will go on.

"These arrived today. Greg D. did an outstanding job of packaging. So many styrofoam peanuts that the whole aircraft wouldn't have sunk if it went down.

I would call the wheels pristine. Used lug nuts and new, the pictured spinners have been stylized with Studebaker logos, horn buttons I'm told.

When I was thirteen I stored a set of (Model A Ford) wheels under my bed. Fifty years later, still doing it.

=

post-48480-143138631789_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631795_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631802_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631808_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138631816_thumb.jpg

Greg is busy, here is another black Avanti report.

"Encouraging!

With what was such a nice interior now mildewed, I couldn't wait to try some cleaner. All I could find around here was some Clorox spray type, so with a sponge and a bucket of water, I tried the first test subject. Driver's seat. Gave it a couple applications and found vinyl under the grime.

So the evening was spent scrubbing, but since the car has yet to find space indoors, I only worked until dark.

So far (as it gets dark) I am very pleased with what I see. I'll go over everything again once the upholstery is removed from the car.

Everything (carpets excluded) seems to be in very good shape.

And as an archaelogical dig, I'm finding lots of artifacts to review.

One thing is a mystery though.

I found a cigarette snuffed out in the rear seat ashtray. No smoking ever on my watch.....

but with the car on the back row of a very dark garage and two young sons looking for something to do.........

either of you got anything to tell your Dad now that you're taller than I am?

=

post-48480-143138632189_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138632194_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138632198_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138632202_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138632206_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138632211_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, August 18th. Nice here in the Seattle area. Having a great time. But I did ask Greg for the story behind the Black Avanti. Here is what he said. Another very interesting story.

"John,

You asked for background on the black '64 R5054. Everything is a long story.

While enjoying the Viet Nam experience, I'd spent a lot of time advertising for Avanti parts. R-3, Halibrand wheels, etc. When home on leave, it was time to shop for a car. That search led Phil Ritter and I to South Bend and Newman and Altman's dealership. I wanted an R2 fourspeed, but they were fresh out. With some local snooping, I turned up a black R-2 automatic.

It took almost every cent we both had, but we drove it home. There was only about enough time for me to arrange storage for it, I was off to another assignment until I returned in 1971. Then I thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving it.

For some reason forgotten, I decided to take it off the road and give it a frame up restoration.

Even though it was only about ten years old, I tore it down, everything got the treatment. Sandblasted frame, epoxy primer hand sanded before coated with Imron, I was going for show finish. The car had been white originally, but the black was striking. That called for stripping of all old finish and levelling and block sanding. A new product called Featherfill was on the market. Sounded like just the ticket since it was a sprayable polyester resin . This was applied and block sanded. Then a show finish of priming and block sanding, then the same with black lacquer.

Instead of buying NOS chrome parts, I had the original equipment sent out for show chrome. Some of the upholstery was redone with NOS vinyl. An effort was made to keep fasteners correct, etc.

Mechanically, I removed the R-2 and built up an R-3 from parts of a blown up R-4 that I'd found. A few other Bonneville flavored tricks were done too. Dry sump blower with cooler, instrumentation, etc.

I'd come up with a set of Halibrands that had seen duty with Studebaker's Bonneville Team cars. They went on it.

I began showing the car and it did well. As life proceeded, it was eventually pressed into daily transportation, until I retired it for it's own good.

Now it is time for a re-restoration. Not to show quality, but very nice. As you can see from the initial photos, it needs work. Early on the Featherfill started coming off and taking the paint with it. Some places the size of the palm of your hand would pop off. The show chrome ....it started rusting while standing in my bedroom closet before it was ever put on the car. Hopefully the engine is ok, I know the transmission has issues.

I hope this job goes easier than the last one.

Hope you are having a good vacation.

GREG.

It is Saturday, August 21st. We are still on vacation and having a great time, but Greg continues to work. Here is his latest report and pics. I must say that his black Avanti looks as bad as my green Avanti did.

"Today is a beautiful day, using it to good advantage.

Black Avanti.

With the hood off, I began removing engine parts for storage. When doing the last one, I just pulled parts off and tossed them down. I'm still looking for things. This time I will revert to old methods, tag and bag.

As of now, the supercharger, power steering pump, coolant tank, radiator shroud, carb enclosure cover, blower bracket, brake booster and miscellaneous small items are off the car and on the shelf.

In order to put them on the shelf, we pulled out the old Dodge touring and went shopping for shelving. Good a reason as any to go for a spin with the top down.

Since I don't save my photos, I'll be sending these before shots so that someone will have them when I need to see details."

post-48480-14313863652_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636525_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636529_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636534_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636538_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636542_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138636546_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, very late. Looks like Greg is going to do a full refresh on his black Avanti. Here is his report and some pics.

"Today was an easy day of picking parts off the engine. Ignition wire brackets, coil bracket assembly, distributor, carburetor and linkage, the rest of the enclosure, the inlet manifold, power steering pump bracket, coolant manifold, radiator, transistor ignition assemby, etc. Much more of this and the engine will be ready to come out.

Combine this with taking the Fesermobile back, cruising in the maroon car, a walk in the park, and some Barb's famous spaghetti made for a very good day."

post-48480-143138637703_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138637707_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138637711_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, August 24th. At the San Francisco AP waiting for our connecting flight to home. Missed the big earthquake yesterday. Received a call from our farm sitter and she thought that the house was going to blow up, much shaking and banging. She grabbed the dog and ran out of the house. She reports, no damage.

And here is Greg's report from yesterday.

"I've been trying to loosen rusty hardware on the black Avanti. Sure, I've been soaking with penetrant, but some nuts and bolts are really rusted and stuck.

Couldn't find my 9/16 flex socket to reach some of the exhaust manifold bolts, so I snuck off to Sears to buy another (can't have too many). While standing in line at the cashier counter, that's when the building started to shake and it sounded like a thunderstorm in there. The few of us in the building then gathered by the front doors. I hadn't paid for the socket. I turned to one of the salespersons, and asked it I should pay for it later. She said she'd hold it for me. I said I needed it NOW! Earthquake or not, we rung it up and I hit the road. My first quake ever.

I've been picking parts off the car. Getting ready to pull the engine out, so things like exhaust hardware is giving me trouble. Tonight I was able to get the left downpipe loose from the manifold. A couple of the manifold retention bolts refused to budge, so I had to leave attached to the cylinder head and pulled the whole assembly. The right side is next.

That's the way it's been going here."

It is Thursday, August 25th. Made it back from from vacation in Seattle so it is farm work for me for a couple of days. But Greg is still taking things apart on the black Avanti.

Here is his report. "Still taking things off the engine. Tonight the right cylinder head came off, miscellaneous hardware, the starter and the bellhousing cover. Sounds easy.

A few more bolts and I think it is ready to lift out of the car. It's been such a long time, I can't remember if the torque converter can stay attached to the crankshaft, or whether I have to pull the bolts from the flex plate and leave it in the transmission.

Anybody know?

Dirty job, I need to cean up."

Sorry for the crappy photo. I need to get some lighting in there.

post-48480-143138640455_thumb.jpg

Holy cow. First an earthquake, now a hurricane. Suppose to hit us on Sunday. VA just declared a state of emergency and all the coastal areas are being evacuated as I write this. The storm is suppose to move inland around Kill Devil Hill in NC and move inland from there. So I guess we better get some provisions to last a few days. For once we will not have to worry about power as we put in a whole house generator in the spring.

But here is more information from Greg on the wheels he purchased a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea what he had to pay for them, but probably a lot. Much more that I would want to spend. Heck I am balking paying $60 for a hubcap.

"The first set I found in 1969 or so. I had been advertising for a set while in Viet Nam. Didn't have a car to put them on, but I knew I would someday (should the current duty station work out). I ran across some, but a typical response was " you don't want them. They are ugly, hard to keep, hard to balance, won't hold air, they corrode, get brittle, might catch fire, and no I won't sell any of my three sets".

I was also dealing with the Stu-V guys Chris Banke and Dave Livesay. I mentioned my desire to find the wheels and I was pleased to learn that they could supply me with four wheels , but less the spinners and lugnuts. And oh by the way, they were said to have been part of the Studebaker Bonneville Team effort. Of course, they were.

Any and all Halibrands had certainly been under Andy Granatelli's bed. I didn't care how much sky came with them, I bought.

Funny thing is, they arrived with Allstate Bonneville tires (still in my storage). I called Halibrand and they supplied a set of spinners. That is why they have the Torrance address.

I had put the first set on my restored R5054 black Avanti. Then it stood idle for a long time. Meanwhile I got the urge to pull the maroon R2724 out of storage. Getting it up and running, so I pulled the wheels off the black one to use on the madeover maroon car. In my opinion once you've had a set of Halibrands on one of these cars, nothing else will do. Might as well have a set of Keystones. Time to look for another set.

Set no. 2.....

Instead of advertising , I just started asking around and made sure they knew I was serious. More than one contact said that "no, don't know of any but I'm looking for a set too".

A call to Dave Thibeault, the old friend of Studebakerers, resulted in a return call and an email contact. In England.

Greg Diffen, who I didn't know, might have a set to sell. I gave him a try.

Yes, he had some and might let them go. They had a history that he shared with me. Here we go, more buying sky.

A Mr. Bert Needham, Australian Studebaker dealer, was known for his performance work with South Bend cars. One of his race cars kept breaking steel wheels, so he ordered a set of Halibrands. The first set, maybe the only set to make it to Australia.

These wheels were fitted to a road race R4 Lark. It did well especially at the Bathurst course.

Diffen was able to buy these wheels. Diffen then made a move to England I think ten years ago. The Halibrands remained in storage until I bought them. The low mileage and years of careful storage must account for their pristine condition. They came complete with lug nuts and spinners. Somewhere along the way, the spinners have been modified with inserts (horn buttons I'm told), so there's no way of knowing the address cast into them.

Now I can return the Bonneville wheels to the black one since it has a few salt car upgrades and this new set will find their way to R2724. And with this latest acquisition of five wheels, there's finally a spare wheel between the two cars. I've been sweating for a long time about that. And that's one more I can pick up and hug."

It is Monday, August 29th. Yes, hurricane Irene was a bust for us up in the mountains. Just too far inland. We got a bit of rain and lots of wind into the 40 mph range. The coastal areas got hit hard, but us, not so much. Here is Greg's non-report for the weekend. thought I better post it before I received too many emails asking that is wrong with Greg.

"Not much news on the automotive front. The hurricane passed through yesterday and if it wasn't for one of those temporary signs along the roadside that said "BRING IT ON IRENE", I woundn't have even recognized it as a tropical storm. Not that I'm complaining. Some wind gusts and rain.

Didn't work on the car Saturday, other priorities, and today was a beautiful Sunday for a drive through the mountains and Shenandoah Valley.

Tonight I did find time to visit the car. I was trying to loosen and lift the engine out. You may recall I had given up due to darkness, dim flashlight, etc. Well tonight I took another look. Same darkness and dim flashight, so I again gave it up. There is one corner of the engine/transmission that isn't letting go. I don't think I overlooked a retention bolt. I need good daylight to see what is going on (or not coming off). Tomorrow.

Enclosed find no picture of no progress."

Looks like Greg found some daylight to see what was going on with his engine pulling job on the black Avanti. Here is his report from Tuesday, August 30th.

"the right combination of leverage and verbal abuse, the engine came out. It seems to have been hung up on one of the alignment dowel pins. So what should have happened last week is now done.

Next will be disconnecting all the transmission attachments, linkages, wiring, cables, driveshaft, retention hardware, exhaust and crossmember stuff in order to lower it down and out.

Enclosing photos for your interest and my reference files."

post-48480-14313864403_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138644035_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313864404_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138644045_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313864405_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138644055_thumb.jpg

But Roger, your Avanti is a couple of years old now. About time for a re-fresh at least don't you think? I follow you every day. All I can say is "amazing"!

Thank you John! The Avanti was completed in February 2010 and drove maybe 50 meters! This model is full of compromises as just a refresh was planed; this refreshing evolved into an almost new construction with biaised sarting point and wrong decisions. To make it 98% correct, it would be easier to do another one!

Let's finish the Mark II...

Attached are 2 views of that inner fender. At first glance this part is OK, but it was done by guess.

post-66721-143138644765_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138644784_thumb.jpg