Brake fluid reservoir - DA

LennyDaVinci

I am looking to replace my current brake fluid reservoir on a DA Dodge as it leaks and is dented etc .. The one I have appears to be fabricated from sheet metal (steel?) with a threaded outlet at the bottom to attach the brake line. Also a brass screw plug in the top for filling. Are replacements available, or do they have to be fabricated from scratch --- probably from stainless?

I have the cans and will sell one if you are interested, I have them in various conditions ranging from completely restored bolt right onto your car with correct mount brackets and all the correct attaching hardware to junk. I wont sell any of them cheap but if you are interested let me know. I have noticed that at least some early Jags used an nearly identical can to what these Dodges used only in miniature form. They are really cute and it made me wonder who else used these throughout the years and maybe used the same proportions.

Thank you 1930 ... I'll contact you by email. I have only found a few "plastic" (yuk) reservoirs to date that might do the job and I still need to find out what thread is used for connection. I think it is 7/16" UNF?? Let me know your costs. I have the brackets etc .. so its the container and threaded connection that are busted.

Oh sure, send me a picture of what you have, if its the right canister than we can work out some sort of trade in if you like. I know I did not pay any less than 50 bucks ( some years ago ) for any of the usable ones, usable meaning maybe some pinholes but easily repaiable or some dents or combinations of both and the prices I paid only went up from there but capped out at just over a hundred a can. I put them in a pile and restore them as I have time. Will wait for your e-mail

ESP what car is yours mounted on and would it be possible to get closeup of that sticker, pretty sure I have already close-ups but just in case some of the lettering is more clear on yours it would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Lenny, your right there are known differences between some cars but I am pretty up to speed I think and am pretty sure that the can you are using is not correct for the car but then again I dont know where your car was built and know nothing about cars put together where you are so I will just leave it at that. If you ever change your mind mine are not going anywhere any time soon and you are welcome to one.

Thanks Arnold, I have these to offer you just in case you were wondering, I was told and believe that this canister was mounted on a very original DA, I have never found any supporting literature for this but do believe that it is a strong possability that some if not all Dodge cars left factory with this sticker on the canister right after chryslers takeover. I dont know for sure but I think they switched over to a master that had an integrated reservoir in 31 and maybe John will confirm this. If I do ever find any supporting literature for this than...

Ill be back

post-48869-143138110835_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138110837_thumb.jpg

I think that Dougs car also has same sticker if I remember correctly him saying so and I would like to see a photo of that if it is possible. I may be wrong about that though.

Thanks for that picture John, if you ever have the time it would be nice to see the names of the items that are being pointed to by the lines. I am curious to know how you filled this and also what is the item mounted directly on top of reservoir pointing upward? Is the cylinder attached to rear engine support like DA? Must have been difficult to fill?? Thanks

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is long dead and buried but I thought I'd post a pic of my "pristine" DA Brake reservoir. Does this look like one that may have come from the factory?

Can't be that hard to fab one up if they are unobtainable,and I have enough left of this one to see how it all goes together.

I think someone may have used this one as a "step". I take it that the support brackets aren't supposed to bend downwards like that?!!

post-84687-143138976727_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138976736_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138976744_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Id take the little guy off and give it a good soaking anyway, useless except for a keepsake but thats a shame. Cap is correct, dont toss it out, if you dont want it I will take it ( dont really need it just dont throw it out) 3 piece cap.

Early Jag used the identical reservoir in miniature size, maybe Ray can chime in on that one

Id take the little guy off and give it a good soaking anyway, useless except for a keepsake but thats a shame. Cap is correct, dont toss it out, if you dont want it I will take it ( dont really need it just dont throw it out) 3 piece cap.

Early Jag used the identical reservoir in miniature size, maybe Ray can chime in on that one

The cap is a little messed up but I will not chuck it. She's stuck fast but I'll get it off on see if it is the 3 piece job like you say. The can looks generic, (for want of a better term), enough to find a good match and put a fitting in the bottom and presto...

Guest 1930

Quote..........The can looks generic.........Ouch that stings, the can is far from generic in my opinion, if you find a can same size with the same 3 ring top and bottom and the same shoulder let me know. I have looked for years.

Stick a paper clip thru the hole in the top, if it dosent go all the way thru than its complete probably.

Those little caps are tough to find in decent shape as the knurling around it circumfrence has usually been chewed off by peoples neglect with a pair of pliers.

Guest 1930

Thats it Ray, XK-120, a friend owns a Jag shop and I was shocked one day to see these laying about. As I mentioned though they are about 1/2 the size of the Dodge reservoir

Quote..........The can looks generic.........Ouch that stings, the can is far from generic in my opinion, if you find a can same size with the same 3 ring top and bottom and the same shoulder let me know. I have looked for years.

Stick a paper clip thru the hole in the top, if it dosent go all the way thru than its complete probably.

Those little caps are tough to find in decent shape as the knurling around it circumfrence has usually been chewed off by peoples neglect with a pair of pliers.

I said generic enough !!!

I noticed the 3 rings at the bottom, (where no one would see), but because the top of mine has been pressed in I didn't notice the rings on the top surface. I see them now. It makes things a bit more problematic but not insurmountable I feel.

Mine looks to have some plier damage on the knurling so it would be a complete rebuild job unless I find a "new" one. I can see up through the rusted bottom to the underside of the lid. A large piece of the base just fell out when I was shaking it free of gunk so I can see right in there now. It looks to have a saucer shaped piece with a small hole in the middle stuck on the underside of the lid. A paperclip wont go through from the top so unless there is just rust in there I guess it is complete.

My camera battery just died so I'll have to wait a bit to put up a close up pic.

271581 - Brake Fluid Reservoir Tank

The use of these reservoirs was quite widespread : Land Rover (series1); Austin Healey; Maserati, and others. The above gives some dimensions.

I ain't putting no british junk on my truck.....

;)

Mine is 3" dia x 5" high so not much of a difference but I couldn't live with it I feel. Nice little project to move along with while my truck still has no brakes.....or wheels.....or axles..... or tailshaft.....or gearbox.....or motor.....

I wonder how the cost of a genuine Maserati one stacks up?!!

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Guest 1930
I ain't putting no british junk on my truck.....

;)

Mine is 3" dia x 5" high so not much of a difference but I couldn't live with it I feel. Nice little project to move along with while my truck still has no brakes.....or wheels.....or axles..... or tailshaft.....or gearbox.....or motor.....

I wonder how the cost of a genuine Maserati one stacks up?!!

Just for fun you buy the Jag one, cut it open and insert the proper size sleeve and puter back together.

Thats what I would do if I had as much free time as you do :P

Just for fun you buy the Jag one, cut it open and insert the proper size sleeve and puter back together.

Thats what I would do if I had as much free time as you do :P

Sheeesh! Don't you start. You sound like my missus, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag...

I already found a close candidate in my paint cupboard. I have an estapol tin which is perfect diameter but 1/2" too long. No 3 ring top and bottom of coarse.

I wonder if these reserviors are coated with anything on the inside?

Guest 1930

Yes they do have a coating, maybe someone here can put the proper name to it because it escapes me now, real shiny. I can try and post a pic if that would help.

Guest 1930

I already found a close candidate in my paint cupboard. I have an estapol tin which is perfect diameter but 1/2" too long. No 3 ring top and bottom of coarse.

I think with the condition of your car and assuming you are not a rich man whom can pay whatever is being asked for any part you need you may want to consider settling with as close as you are able to do otherwise you may never be able to enjoy seeing it on the road.

Do the best you can and have fun with it, that would be my advice

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I think with the condition of your car and assuming you are not a rich man whom can pay whatever is being asked for any part you need you may want to consider settling with as close as you are able to do otherwise you may never be able to enjoy seeing it on the road.

Do the best you can and have fun with it, that would be my advice

You assume correctly and that is the plan. I will have to cut corners to get it up and running. I have no illusions about that. Availability and cost of parts being the crucial factor. I've got more than enough to do right now that can be achieved on the cheap but with little bits like this I think I can get a great outcome that will fool all but the toughest of scrutiny. Further down the track my finances will free up a bit and I'll be able to really do the final product some justice.

Dodgy - It looks like you might be able to salvage cap & brackets (w/ a little work) Have you tried Myers? I know they sell repro stuff (but not brake fluid reservoir), but I've gotten a number of parts from their parts cars....you might try and see if they have reservoir in decent shape for sale.

It's British :) , but it might work, not sure of diameter.

Triumph TR3 TR3A Brake Clutch Fluid Reservoir Can OEM iii | eBay

Thamks Bob. Brackets are certainly salvagable. Cap maybe - the thread is squashed a bit so it could be tricky.

Looking at the relationship of the cap to the top rim that triumph one looks a little on the skinny side. A bit like the othe British junk :D

BTW Bob,did you see my post for you here: http://forums.aaca.org/f143/took-nice-cruise-31-dh6-today-328448.html#post1036242

Dodgy, the only reason I posted the Triumph reservoir is that it sounded like you might want a temporary fix and this seemed rather inexpensive.....I'd still call Tom or Cindy Myers to see if they have one that is actually for a DA....also, went to the other post and responded. Good luck w/ the search!